Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering purchasing an 83 550 ltd and will be going to check it out tomorrow. The owner says it's quite heavy (800lbs?). My husband's 850 only weighs about 550 so this doesn't make sense to me.

Does anyone know of any quirks, etc. that this bike has a tendency toward? Thanks.

·
Registered
95 Posts
An '83 550 ltd won't weigh more than 550-600 with a full tank, windshield and saddlebags full of beer. The 800 is probably the GVWR, the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. Most quirks/problems of these bikes are caused by disuse. If used regularly, they're usually rock solid for years. I don't have a manual for the 550's but a 750 LTD is supposed to weigh 465 dry of gas and oil so a 550 probably is 425 or so dry.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies all. I did go check the bike out. It ran really nice.... engine sounds great and with the air shocks was a really smooth ride. It's only problem seemed to be rust on a couple of the exhaust pipes due to not being garaged enough (and being 20 years old). I may be able to clean a lot of it off.

I think the one responder was correct in the high weight number possibly being some kind of gross vehicle weight..... it feels more like the 450 or so pounds.... not nearly as heavy as my husband's 850 (of course I didn't lay it down so had no need to actually pick it up...lol). The lower center of gravity made it easier to ride than his as well.

Now I just have to get the goahead from him to buy it ... assuming the guy doesn't sell it to someone else.

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
we just bought a 82 750 spectra . it has a little serfus rust on the pipes. I used a pice of ten foil and some sodapop to remove most of it. also you can use some backing soda and peroxide past to remove it from the crome. ...... Mack

1 - 6 of 6 Posts