Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks

It's been almost a year since I have been on the forum. Amber has been sitting in the garage but now I could use her services. She needs some top end work as she is burning oil, leaking oil at the head, leaking oil at the base cover and now starter won't work. It spins free and I believe the starter clutch is at fault.

I have began the tear down in the frame and already messed up as I forgot to label the valve buckets and was surprised to find no shims under the buckets. I will post pics and update progress soon.

·
Registered
417 Posts
the shims should be on top of the lifters. if you get a gasket set from z1enterprises it should have valve seals and everything you would need besides the lower/bottom of the cylinder block/jugs oil passage O-rings.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The whole top end rebuild isn't nearly as daunting task as it seems. Im a pretty decent mechanic but don't think it's required to do this. Biggest thing is to label everything/take pics with phone.. You can't take too many. Most if not all machine work will be done by machine shop. Ape did my 76 Kaw 900. Punched it to 1015, honed cyl and labeled rings and pistons to cyl. If you have shop manual and tools you can do it. Don't be in a hurry. They can also port and rebuild heads.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many years later, through unemployment and a divorce, now I am getting back to Amber. I have moved to Dallas, TX and will begin to rebuild this bike this week.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i did an '83 gpz1100 last year that had the shim buckets out and scattered (shim under). some were even slightly rusty. i refitted by oiling up and trying a fit, using a magnet to check ease of movement in the bore. after 500 miles so far, so good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts