Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!
Does anyone know where I can get the boots that go between the airbox and carbs? I have a 1983 KZ 440 LTD belt drive. The boots I have are so hard that I can't get the carbs back on. I was hoping someone might have some advice for me.
Thanks

·
Registered
265 Posts
These are no longer available from Kawasaki. Unless you are lucky enough to find some on a dealer's shelf or on eBay, your best bet (assuming they are not torn) is to heat them with a hair blowdrier to soften them as you try to install them.

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
Successfully Resurrecting Old Rubber Parts
(Found on the internet)

This subject has been broached before but I am happy to report success in revitalizing old rubber.

I have been using a mixture of 30% wintergreen oil (methyl salicylate) and 70% xylene to restore old rubber parts and it works beautifully. This is the same ingredients and proportions for the commercial product Rubber Renue according to the MSDS sheets.

Wintergreen oil is analgesic and liniment for aching muscles and found in most drugstores, pharmacies, health food stores and co-ops.

I gently heated rock hard honda CB carb boots with a heat gun for 30 seconds and dropped them into mason jars with my solution for 12 hours at room temperature. They come soft, pliable and looking good. They have been out of solution for 48 hours now and are still soft and pliable. I soaked smaller rubber parts such as side panel grommets and there extremely soft and may need to soak for less time

Critics are going to argue 'why not buy new ones?' Well, I am restoring four CB's at the moment and if I can reuse perfectly good parts, why throw them and my money away?

Give it a try and post your results.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
A couple of different people have reported using this proceedure to restore some life in hardened boots and say it works very well.

First off, you'll need an old cooking pot. I used a 2 Lb coffee tin.
You'll need something to keep the boots from burning to the bottom or melting. I used an old CB750 points cover. any old grill or grate will work, or even constant stirring will do the job too.
You'll also need a stove of some sort. I used my antique coleman stove for the job.

You'll need enough water to cover your boots.
You'll need a small amount of wintergreen Oil. I used 3 ounces in my 2 Lb coffee tin. Wintergreen Oil is an analgesic, its used for aching muscles and arthritis treatment. You should be able to pick it up in pharmacies or health food stores. I got mine at walmart for 5.00

Set the whole mess on the stove and bring to a slow boil for about 20 minutes. Let the mess cool until manageable.

·
itching to ride
2,233 Posts
I used the wintergreen oil method and it worked ok but one of my boots was messed up and looked like it had been in a fire so it never did soften all the way. It was also drawed up a bit and was smaller than the others and would not fit without a gap around the edge. Even at that I had to take a heat gun and warm it to get it on.

I then sealed the gap with gasket sealer designed to work with fuel. Having to go back into my carbs more than once I eventually bought new ones from Z-1. But I see they do not carry them for your bike.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts