Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen other threads like this around the forum for various cycles but i couldnt find one for the ninja 900, so here goes:

what mods are out there?

looking for confirmed mods, be them bolt on or retro fit from another bike.

wider swing arms if you got +2 grand burning a hole in your pocket
Kawasaki GPZ900 Parts

has anybody seen or done a retrofit mod with a newer cycles swingarm to get the wider tire?

·
Registered
176 Posts
yes, i have 98' zx9r wheels, stock swing arm, zx9r rear brakes, zx11d front end, zx11d front brakes(zx9r wheels) 180 rear 5.5 in rim
i could email you pics
a shop in southern CA did it for me, (Poway Motorcycle)
just now putting back on the road.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
I'm upgrading to F2 CBR wheels, surprisingly, adapting them is quite simple, its a bearing swap up front, a 530 conversion for chain, custom inner spacer, along with wheel spacers to center the rear wheel/chain, and you've got a perfect fit.

this is on my ZX1000 though. I'm still toying with adding busa front forks and brakes, but I"d need to create a new speedometer drive then.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dude that looks freakin beastly in the most awesome sense of that phrase! :D thumbs way up

·
MGuyver/Dinorider
332 Posts
uS EFI on an A2 seems to run alot smoother than carbs and way more responsive! I will probably do the wheel swap next for larger contact patch when the turbo goes on:cool: Im gonna use the zx9 wheels like DjBee but I think Im going for the zx11 swingger (it's beefer):cool: also plan on changing the front end to USD forks w/320mm brakes and 6 pot calipers:cool:

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've seen other threads like this around the forum for various cycles but i couldnt find one for the ninja 900, so here goes:

what mods are out there?

looking for confirmed mods, be them bolt on or retro fit from another bike.

wider swing arms if you got +2 grand burning a hole in your pocket
Kawasaki GPZ900 Parts

has anybody seen or done a retrofit mod with a newer cycles swingarm to get the wider tire?
yes I am at the moment fitting a xj 1300 with twin shocks and a zx6 rear wheel to give a nice wide boot on the back. Iam taking pics as I go and hope to post them soon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hey got my first bike its an 84 ZX9. DJBee what kind of fairings are those. And I also wanna extend the swingarm and re-alighn the exhaust and run them under the seat. any suggestions? and I'd really like to see some more pics if you have them, I'm kinda working under a tight budget. thanks

·
Wrench turner
106 Posts
Traulin' for old threads are we.... lol, at least this one isn't from 2008!

Those are the standard fairings, he's actually missing the belly pan fairing, and it looks like they have been repainted jet black.

You'll have a tough time trying to run the exhaust up under the seat, especially if you're on a budget. Just leave these bikes as they are and enjoy them if you are learning to ride. They make a great first bike to grow into, so don't worry too much about modifying them. A 900 from back in the 80's is still a 900 and can beat the pants off of all the little 650's and 750's by an experienced rider. Just keep her clean and have some respect.

Besides, changing the exhaust also changes the airflow, and then the bike runs like a dog, so then you have to monkey around with changing jets and the flow and getting it re-tuned. And these bikes are so old you can't even use electronic tuners hooked to an O2 sensor or anything, so you have to dyno them, and tweak them by hand, and that gets expensive.

By the way, just so this thread stays on topic... My modifications are fork brace, 4-to-1 headers, yoshimura exhaust, K&N pod filters, re-jetted to stage 3, stebel nautilus air horn, SS brake lines, tinted screen, chopped rear fender, manual fan switch.

·
MGuyver/Dinorider
332 Posts
you shouldnt be so hard on the guy Fred.

My mods are EFI. Turbo, 2000 zx 9 wheels, 92 zx11C swingarm, 2004 zx10USD front end, and COP (stick coils) Its not quite finished but getting close :D

:worthless:

·
Registered
2 Posts
yes, i have 98' zx9r wheels, stock swing arm, zx9r rear brakes, zx11d front end, zx11d front brakes(zx9r wheels) 180 rear 5.5 in rim
i could email you pics
a shop in southern CA did it for me, (Poway Motorcycle)
just now putting back on the road.
Good day djbee wondering if u could email me ur mod pics... I am really wanting to change the rear swing arm and my front forks on my A2 gpz900 ... Wondering primarily when you did your wider swing arm swap did u need to change your engine sprocket? So if you could kindly list the parts that works on our gpz that would be awesome... I'm from Vancouver,bc so if there are difference from US to Canada variance on bike parts let me know.... From what u've written up there it sounds like it's a pretty easy mod...do correct me if I am wrong....looking forward to hearing from ya thanks... I'll pm u my email when it is alright with u thanks in advance ....

·
Registered
2 Posts

My mods are EFI. Turbo, 2000 zx 9 wheels, 92 zx11C swingarm, 2004 zx10USD front end, and COP (stick coils) Its not quite finished but getting close :D

That looks sick bro!! I am dying to get my swing arm swapped into a wider set and front forks replaced....my current mods are wiseco pistons rebored into 972cc and manual fan switch.... But yours I'd live to copy if that's ok with u.... So wondering if u do have step by step on what parts and wheels set I need and from what exact model would fit on our gpz that would be awesome! Wondering too with this widening of the rear does that mean our engine sprocket would have to change too? In order to compensate for the increase in width? Thanks in advance!

Mart

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re: Here's Mine Almost Back On The Road

hay dude i a a newbie to the site, i have a 95 900r and i am going to go down the same route as alot of owners and improve the ride so i hope to change the wheels and springs front and back.
is there any chance you could email me your info on your mods so i can study them so hopefully be alot easyer for me. my email address is [email protected]

many thanks again from the uk

·
Registered
2 Posts

hi. Sorry for the very late reply.

How much horsepower does your GPZ turbo make? Thank you.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts