Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help!!! I'm having major dramas with front forks/ suspension......it keeps collapsing. Checked fork seals , seem ok .Tried and think I've fixed them.Test run OK then next ride front shocks gone again .Any advice on way to go with this?? Thanks any advice appreciated.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
If you pull the front brake in and push forward and down on the bike does the bike squish down after a couple of times doing that and holding onto the brake or does it get stiffer each time you shove holding onto the front brake?

·
Registered
629 Posts
If you see any trace of a line of oil from the fork seals after you have completed 1Adam12's test you need new fork seals. Check the anti-dive for leaks.

If the forks seals are bad, I would suggest replacing the stock springs with Progressive springs w/o air at the same time, if you haven't done that already.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for speedy reply 1Adam12 and forest1000.Just tried to front brake/push down ....can't push down already bottomed out shocks won't lift or go down. Checked oil level, it's ok. If I pump air into shocks will this help??

·
Registered
629 Posts
If you are already bottoming out, then either there is no air at all, the wrong in the fork or the springs are shot. 10w fork oil (8.3-8.6oz) and air pressure should 5.7-8.5psi

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
If everything checks out as far as parts in right places etc, i would say that you will need to have your AVDS system renewed with a kit.

As Forest1000 suggests, if you are already going into the forks, change out the springs to progressive suspensions springs or ones from Hagon. There are more expensive options out there, but the ones mentioned are not going to brake the piggy bank.

Keep us up to date so we can help.

·
Registered
629 Posts
1Adam12 is correct about ADVS. I am restoring an '84 GPz750, and my shocks spring back and forth but they go right to the top. I already know I need new forks seals, but I have to keep some absorbent junk on the floor to soak up the oil that may be coming out of the ADVS unit. Mine will probably need to be repaired also.

The other option is to disconnect the ADVS altogether. You would need to disconnect the feed lines. The unit itself cannot be removed.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts

A bag of replacement springs, O rings, screws & separators, which enable the DIY home mechanic to overhaul both anti dive units.
NB:- These kits do not overhaul the lid.

One kit will overhaul 2 x units, supplied complete with instructions.

http://www.internetcommerce.com/isapi/EVisions.isa?SF_ProdDescription('AD001')&EvApp=sf.4030

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your help guys.Sorry for late reply(I've been workin' on 7yr old's chainsaw.....ktm 65) as well as kwakka . Tried suggestions and found muck in ADS which had seized the plungers.Also found slow air leak in valve on top of fork leg. I went the progressive fork springs.Much better ride.I reckon the old kwakkas back.Thanks heaps I owe you both a schooner. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts