Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No power and buzzing/vibration from the junction box.

My riding season here in New England is quickly drawing to a close, now this...

After sitting in the garage for two years I decided it was time to fire up the old Ninja and get her back on the road.

Changed all the fluids, filled the tires, put the battery in and cranked right over - no problem. Took a little ride around and everything seemed to be working well.

THE PROBLEM
Two weeks later I decided to change the spark plugs.
Changed the plugs, turn the key to "on" (everything that should light up does), hit the starter and "click" - nothing, no power either.
Key off, check everything over including the plug wires, turn the key to on. No power and a loud buzzing plus vibtration from the junction box.

The battery is fine, then drops when the key is on.

I can't pinpoint the buzzing within the junction box, but pulling the main relay stops everything.

Any ideas on how to fix/troubleshoot this thing would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks.

HK

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
Re: 84 GPZ900 - Electrical Idiot help -"buzzing" a

HowieK said:
1. No power and buzzing/vibration from the junction box.

2. My riding season here in New England is quickly drawing to a close, now this...

3. THE PROBLEM
Two weeks later I decided to change the spark plugs.
Changed the plugs, turn the key to "on" (everything that should light up does), hit the starter and "click" - nothing, no power either.
Key off, check everything over including the plug wires, turn the key to on. No power and a loud buzzing plus vibtration from the junction box.

4. The battery is fine, then drops when the key is on.

5. I can't pinpoint the buzzing within the junction box, but pulling the main relay stops everything.

6. Any ideas on how to fix/troubleshoot this thing would be GREATLY appreciated.
HK
1. so now none of the lights etc work ?

2. ah good ol east coast crap (im from PA. originally) :roll:

3. there are relays built into the junction box. sounds like one is stuck closed/open. you need a manual and multi-meter so that you can start checking if power is coming IN and if its coming OUT.

4. what do you mean ? it has over 12v then drops to #v ? did you try jumpstarting the bike off a car ? if the car battery starts it then your battery is toast. if not then you have problems elsewhere.

5. ya because youve broken the circuit from the battery completely when you pull the main fuse.

6. get a manual, look at the electrical schematics and start checking for voltage in/out of the box.
good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: My GPZ electric Buzz

Thanks for the quick reply and info.

1- when I turn the key to on, there is nothing - no lights in the instrument cluster.

2- the summer is so short that by the time I get this piece of crap on the road, it's time to put the snow tires on my car. Had a bad experience with wet leaves a while back, so I really do cut my riding season short.

3- I have my faithful manual, but I'm not really sure about how to check voltage in and out - I'd rather completely rip down the entire motor, then deal with electrical issues.

4- the battery starts at 12v with the key off, drops down to 4v right after turning the key to on - still not pressing the starter.
I've had issues with bad/weak batteries in the past, but I have never had this buzzing/vibrating at the j.box just from turning the key to on.

I'm going to try to jump the battery tonight. I have a sinking feeling that there is something else going on, but I'll give it a shot.

Thanks for the advice.
Stay tuned....

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
oh man, that batter is SUPER SHOT !! it has gone bad INSIDE the battery where you can see it. the reason for the buzzing is from lack of voltage to close the relay completely. its fluctuating so you hear it going open/closed/open/closed on and on.
replace that battery !!! just to make sure jump start it tonight and see if it works for ya. im betting it will. if not then hit me up and ill give ya some more ideas. :wink:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Electical Idiot - It was the Battery!!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!
She jumped right over. I still can't believe that it was only the battery.
In my 14 years of owning this bike I have had Many battery problems - never have I had the "buzzing" from j. box deal.

The fact that the battery would read 12v, then go down to almost nothing when the key was turned on, then back up to 12v with the key off still puzzles me - but who gives a shat, I'll pick up a new battery today and be read-to-go.

Once again, thanks to all for the advise. You have saved me from extreme aggravation, scraped knuckles, tools sticking out of the wall and the possibility of my wife locking me out of the house.

Ride On!

hk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts