Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a new engine in my bike. The replacement engine did not have a pulse coil, so I took the coil off my old engine. I lined up the marks on the plate w/ the marks on the case. Do I need to do anything else? Is there a way to verify proper timing w/ a timing light?

·
This space for rent
687 Posts
Timing is not adjustable, if you didn't remove and replace the rotor on the timing advancer, then you're good to go. If you did remove and replace the rotor, and installed it 180 degrees out, then when you try and start it you'll hear and see it backfire through the carbs. In that case flip the rotor 180 and you're good :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I had some time last night, so I pulled the cover. After I cleaned the oxidation off the rotor, I saw the marks that read "T F 1-4". I hooked up the timing light & everything lined up @ idle and advanced when it was reved up. I'll sleep better now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the same bike and an unsure as to what I am doing when I use a 17mm to rotate the bolt under the circular cover on the right side of the block...I thought that was to rotate the crank specifically to align the cams, but is it instead dealing with ignition advancement? There is the TF 1-4 mark as well as just a T mark...which one do I want lined up with the stationary line at the 12 o'clock position?

Thank you!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the same bike and an unsure as to what I am doing when I use a 17mm to rotate the bolt under the circular cover on the right side of the block...I thought that was to rotate the crank specifically to align the cams, but is it instead dealing with ignition advancement? There is the TF 1-4 mark as well as just a T mark...which one do I want lined up with the stationary line at the 12 o'clock position?

Thank you!
Just exactly what are you trying to do? Check timing? Align cams?
The TF 1-4 mark will indicate when #1 & 4 cylinders are @ TDC (when the T is lined up w/ the stationary mark) "T" indicates "top dead center", "F" indicates "fire".
Hope this helps

·
Registered
6 Posts
OK, so the regular "T" indicates the top of the exhaust stroke, and TF indicates the top of the compression stroke then? I already aligned the cams, just want to verify that timing is correct for the plugs firing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
An ignorant question, but I've been under the hood of cars all my life with distributors, electronically controlled PCM ignitions, etc...so how does the bike know when to fire each plug considering I rotated the crank when I installed the new cams?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Think of the engine as 2 pairs of cylinders. #1 & 4 are a pair and #2 & 3 are a pair. When cyl #1 is on the compression stroke, #4 is on the exhaust stroke. #1 & #4 plugs fire at the same time (as well as #2 & 3). The one that is on the exhaust stroke is just a "wasted spark".
In reference to the T-F marks: there are 2 small marks on your rotor for each pair of cylinders The first one (in the direction of rotation) is the "F" (Fire) mark. The next one is the "T" (TDC) mark.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts