Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new to the forum and I've got a couple questions...well really one I guess, ha. I just picked up a 84 ZN700 LTD for dirt cheap, it hasn't been ran in years but I got it running. I really wanna fix it up a bit and get it running better, how difficult is it to work with these bikes, especially these 84 models since its the only year they were made? I'm not a master mechanic by any means, just an everyday average joe who wants to ride and tinker on the bike. Any little bit helps... I know how everyone loves these "please help" posts, I just wanna know if it's gonna be over my head to proceed with this. Thanks!

·
itching to ride
2,233 Posts
If you are of average intelligence and average mechanical ability it should be a good bike to learn on. This forum has many willing to help out should you run into problems. Oh and should you decide to get it do yourself a favor and get a good service manual.

·
This space for rent
687 Posts
I really wanna fix it up a bit and get it running better, how difficult is it to work with these bikes, especially these 84 models since its the only year they were made? Thanks!
Hmm, you do realize that 83 models were only made one year, same as 82, 81, 80, etc?

Sorry, couldn't resist :mrgreen:

In reality, the 700 is the same as the 750 with a tiny bit smaller bore, so KZ750 parts should fit.

I just checked Kawasaki.com, and the ZN700 was a two year bike, 84 and 85. And prior to that was the 82 and 83 KZ750 Shaft (ZN700 is identified as ZN700 LTD Shaft).

Bore the cylinders and use 750 pistons and you'll have a 750 :)

Edit:

The 700's were manufactured for the 84 and 85 model years to get around the 750cc tariffs imposed by the US to protect Harley Davidson. Interesting story that can be found by a quick Google search.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I recently brought a 1984 ZN1100 LTD back to life after it must have spent most of it's existance parked in a garage somewhere. Parts are somewhat challenging since dealers are of marginal help and Kawasaki cancelled a lot of part numbers for bikes that old. Fortunately, there is ebay and that is where I found the most critical parts I needed. Today, my ZN is running with no known problems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts