Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a kawasaki ltd 454 1985 and the bike doesnt go over 65-70 mph :confused:I have no idea were to start.
I tried checkin the plugs but my spark plug wrenchs dont fit.
is there a special wrench for the plugs?
the previous owner let it sit he says he cleaned the fuel system but when I flushed the motorcycles water it was dirty :shock:If there is more info needed I will do my best to inform you its been awhile since I raod motorcycles and cant afford to take it to the shop thank you

·
1985 ZN 700 Mutt
18 Posts
How's the bike sound and feel when hitting 65-70 mph is it bogging out, just revving out(top end) or missing whats the manufacturers max speed of the bike. A little more info would really help. Tim

·
Bob
179 Posts
Hi Richard, Pull the spark plug wires off the plugs and let them rest on top. Start the bike and rev it up and pull one plug wire at a time off and see if it makes a difference. If it doesn't, it's probably the carbs are partially plugged up. Buy some tools and a manual to help you along with the repair. If you are not able to fix the problem, you'll have to bring it to someone who can. Bob

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I tried the 5/8 and all other sizes to remove plugs i am going down to the local motorcycle shop to find one.
also when you hit its top speed 65-70 mph its almost like there is a govener on the bike NO POPPING OR BACK FIREING it just maintains that top speed and when I take off i try to open it up and there is no true power like a normal bike were you have to back off a bit it just wont go.
THANK YOU GUYS VERY MUCH GOING TO LOOK INTO THIS IN THE MORNING rebuild carbs if i have to and flush everything my hunch is the plugs i want to see them.

·
Bob
179 Posts
Hi Richard, Take the tank off and visually check to see if the cables are opening up all the way. The PO may have put them on wrong and you're not getting the full operation limit of the cables. That's one other thing to check. Bob

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the same problem with my 454.
I checked the carps and cleaned them and changed the air and gas filters but that didn´t change anything and my bike had been standing inside for 10 years.
And allways when i went over 60-65 miles per hour it allways choked itself down to 60.
So i went to check it better and i noticed that the blinker relay wich is under the seat was loose and lying not far from the left air intake and i asumed that on higer speed it offcourse neaded more air and was sucking the relay into the opening of the left airfilter so i moved it and fastened it and went for a ride and then.............. 100 miles per hour, no problem:). But other thing, i was not happy about the power i thought it was not as good as it should be so i checked the compression on the cylinders, the left was at 100 psi and the right was at 75 psi so i sprayed SPL100 super penetrating lubricant from Prolong into the cylinders and let it stand for about 3 hours and then i started it and road it until the engine was at normal heat.
Then i let it cool down for the night, the day after i checked the compression again and then the compression was about 110 psi on both cylinders and now it´s working brilliantly, we have more bikez but i just love this one.

·
itching to ride
2,236 Posts
Well it does and it doesn't. If you are pulling up an old thread looking for specific answers then it is best to start another thread and ask questions pertaining to your problem(s).
But yeah I search old threads too because sometimes you can find answers there from guys who do not post now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought a 85 LTD. When I first got it I didn't really want it cuz it looked like a cruiser style bike and I was just going to flip it. When I rode it, the old ass Kawasaki surprised the hell out of me! But it still wasn't running and it's top performance. I was getting a little better than 65 or 70. It was doing between 85 and 90.
I took the filters out and they look like they were glazed over so I wrapped the sock around the whole breather box on each side and when I rode it after wrapping each box, it scared the **** out of me for a few seconds and I opened it all the way up and it ran like a **** wild ass tasmanian devil straight outta the pits of hell.
Nothing else was wrong with it. Cleaned and adjusted the carbs and adjusted the top and bottom at the throttle.
Trying to get it started now and it won't start. Speedometer doesn't work I was keeping up with cars going easy 100 plus miles an hour and then I laid into it. Lost compression almost half. Tore it down to the Pistons and a ring was stuck. Put it all back together, timed it. Good compression, getting a pop but no start. I think I am off by one or two teeth. That's the only thing I can think of.
Did have the clutch switch tab out, but put something in there to take care of that and still no start. It almost does.
Hopefully you got your bike squared away. It is one hell of a bike when it's running at its best. They say 0 to 60 in 5.3... Every bit of it if not a little faster.
If you're still only getting 65 to 70, everything else is good on the bike, and you're still only getting 65 to 70..? If you haven't checked the filters, which I'm sure you have and probably changed them, but if you're not getting what you want to get out of the bike scratch the filters and wrap the boxes in a sock or some kind of similar material. Adjust your fuel and air mixture on your carburetor and get your top in and bottom in on the throttle adjusted so you get exactly what you need to get out of the bike.
The box up in the sock. You can take a piece of a sock and roll it up and stick it in the tube that's coming out of the box. I've got one in and one out. When I hit higher speeds I put two fingers over the other one and adjust the air flow myself till my bike gets the best mixture and hauls ass.
Though I do not believe anybody reading this should not have one in and one out trying to adjust the air with your hand while riding because you're riding with just one hand on the throttle at really high rates of speed and it's not really safe. I'm just a big dummy.
I don't ride with the helmet or anything and hit speeds not 130 like the speedometer registers, but close. I've had it to 120. My plugs were probably even close to being no count at the time also.
Be safe as you can be is all I can say to every last person that rides and reads this. Safe as you can be.

·
Registered
2 Posts
To the moderator who needs to approve my last reply...
I do not condone riding without safety gear in any way at all. Everyone should wear protective gear while riding.
I should myself. Excuse or not, I don't remember ever not knowing how to ride a dirt bike/motorcycle. I've always known how to ride, downshift to slow down. I was riding a Yamaha 250 not being able to touch the ground but could touch the shifter and back brake. An uncle on each side. One grabbing the clutch and the other got the front brake. Id gear down to a craw at 5 years old.
I don't have a back brake lever on my motorcycle now. I barely use my brake. To let people behind me know I am slowing or stopping.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts