Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an 85 454 LTD. 11k on the odometer. It has been in storage for about 17 years. I can't find the fuse block. I think I've lost mind. I know it has one, but where? Also all electrical works except I can't get power to the starter. I pulled the left side engine cover and turned the crank and starter by hand. They turn over smoothly. I've checked and cleaned all the electrical connections. Everything on and in the bike looks in perfect condition if not new, except the rubber components. I've filled the cylinders with marvel mystery oil and I'll clean the carbs in the next few days. Any problems I need to look for on this bike? Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
I don't know for sure where the fuse block is on that model but you should be able to find it under the seat or one of the side covers. While under the side cover, you can jump the starter solenoid/relay and see if that gets it to turn the engine over. You should drain and flush the brake fluids then replace with new. Inspect all rubber bits for cracking and replace as necessary. Be sure to check the brake lines for swelling when the brakes are applied. Check valve adjustment, inspect/replace air filter. If you don't have a service manual, look in to getting one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been through the bike, only found 1 inline fuse coming off the battery. Under side covers, seat, tank, under dash, behind headlight... Ran the wiring harness... nothing. Yeah, I'm doing the works on the bike before I start it. I have a kit I made up for vehicels that have set for years. My Vulcan sat for 10 years, the Suzuki for 30.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just bought an 85 454 LTD. 11k on the odometer. It has been in storage for about 17 years. I can't find the fuse block. I think I've lost mind. I know it has one, but where? Also all electrical works except I can't get power to the starter. I pulled the left side engine cover and turned the crank and starter by hand. They turn over smoothly. I've checked and cleaned all the electrical connections. Everything on and in the bike looks in perfect condition if not new, except the rubber components. I've filled the cylinders with marvel mystery oil and I'll clean the carbs in the next few days. Any problems I need to look for on this bike? Thanks in advance for any help.
if i remember correctly, if ur kickstand is down u must hold n the clutch and hav it n neutral before it wil crank. safety feature that i bypass years ago. hav u checked 2 c if u hav power at the starter win u push the button. if ur dash lites up win u turn on the key and all lites work then all fuses r ok.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dang! the only place I didn't check! I thought it had duel horns with one missing a cover. talked to the previous owner today, says there's a short in the key switch. It has to be just so or it won't turn over. The kickstand/neutral/starter thing I hate, but know about. Gotta good charge on the battery will clean carbs and connections in morning. should have it running by lunch. Wanted to built a bobber out of it, but it's in almost perfct condition. Kinda hard to mess up a nice bike. Thanks for the help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts