Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I just bought my first bike, an '85 900 gpz. It's been poorly treated and left to rust/sit for at least a few months by the previous owner. Doesn't run.

I bought it because I noticed that the carbs (which the guy claimed had been rebuilt last year) were just disconnected from the air filter, assuming that would be an easy fix which would explain why it would turn over but not start.

Then I found out I have no idea how to take the air filter out.

I took off the fairings, the gas tank, and took out the battery. I took off the two bolts on the sides of the air filter... but it's hangin in there. I can't get the carbs out without disconnecting the clutch cable, and I don't want to do that until i find out i can't get the air filter out without doing it.

How do I reattach the carbs to the air filter in the easiest way possible? It's just a hard to reach spot and I don't have a lift or anything.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
this will help.

GPZ900R A5 Restoration & Modification Tech Stuff

Your bike does not have a clutch cable.
The air box stays in place during removal of the carbs.
Roll back the springs on the airbox side of the carbs to loosen them from the boots that hold them in place.

Loosen front clamps and push them forward on their boots on the engine.
Spray with wd40 to help the carbs slide around a bit.
Leave choke and throttle cables attached.
Once carbs are free of engine side rubbers you'll now have more room to hold the throttle return and remove the cable ends from both cables.

Make sure you have spare time to do this as it is a tight fit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'll give that a shot today and see how it works.

I think the last owner epoxied the air filter connection to the carbs, which is why I'm having so much trouble getting them to fit properly and getting the springs off, but I'll use the wd-40 and see if I can get it.

Also, thank you very much for the manuals.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts