Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As posted in the vintage forum:

Any help appreciated. Posting for my sister whose computer is down.

As in the topic, her 700 is backfiring, idles high, and is now stalling. She and my brother-in-law have changed the plugs, cleaned the carb, and cleaned and replaced a leaking diaphragm coasting (?) gasket. She says that the gaskets may be leaking, however. My brother-in-law says it may also be an air leak somewhere. They are having trouble keeping it running at all now.

This stuff is unfamiliar to me. They are wondering if there is something simple that they are overlooking. Thanks.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Check the exhaust. It could be a hole in the exhaust or where the header meets the cylinder head. Also you might want to check the exhaust gaskets (if any).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll pass it on. Thanks for taking the time! Open to other suggestions...
I'll post when they solve it, too.

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
RickyF said:
1. her 700 is backfiring, idles high, and is now stalling.

2. She and my brother-in-law have changed the plugs, cleaned the carb, and cleaned and replaced a leaking diaphragm coasting (?) gasket. She says that the gaskets may be leaking, however.

3. My brother-in-law says it may also be an air leak somewhere. They are having trouble keeping it running at all now.
1. so which is it , idling high or stalling ? :?:

2. so how did they know the gasket was bad ? are they sure they put the diaphram back in correctly ? why did they clean the carbs ? did they seat the diaphrams correctly ? did they seat the carbs completely ? did they plug all holes on the carbs that should be plugged ? did they plug holes that should NOT have been plugged ? did they check the float levels/needle-seat/pilot jet while in there ?

3. is the airbox seated correctly/comletely ?

do they have manual ? WHAT WAS THE ORIGINAL PROBLEM TO START WITH ??

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for responding!

Let me see if I can relate better what she told me. First, it started backfiring, mostly when downshifting. Then, she noted that it was idling high as well as backfiring. Then, it began stalling at times. This is when they decided to try to tune it up. When they did the work, they did have a manual. She did say that they might not have done the diaphragm work 100% right (again, this is unfamiliar to me), and she thinks this may still be a problem area. She took it out for a ride since, and they had to bring it back in the pickup, because it stalled and wouldn't restart. They don't have the manual anymore, because a friend bought the same bike and asked to use it; didn't return it. I ordered one online for her today and they should have it in a couple days.

Plenty of things to check. Thanks again!

·
Registered
605 Posts
ask her if it really smells like burnt fuel and if the little knob that says choke on it is on full :)

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
does this bike have a big air cleaner ,sitting between the cylinders, hanging off the side ? if so then make sure its seated/attached to the airbox/carbs COMPLETELY !! and i would also have them run thru everything they have touched and make sure its correct according to the manual. sounds like she made the problem worse. :roll:

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
When doing a bike and adjusting things

When you are trying to get things done on a bike you should attempt to do only one thing at a time. Taking it to the shop and letting them sort things out would be the easiest way at this point unless they just want to figure it out an dmiss out on precious riding time...it's coming to an end in most parts of the country. Just like doing a tune up on an old car you change the plugs and test it, then the plug wires and test it and then the rotor and distributor cap...or you have to sort out what is wrong AFTER you have done all the work...I've done thiws to find out that hte plugs were bad...FORD has done the dame thing once in 1976 and had my car for 10 days to finally figure out that a complete case (how ever many plugs that is) were defective from the factory). They finally installed plugs from another batch an dALL of their problems witha batch of cars that they too were working on were solved... Using a bottle of soapy water misted onto the carb seals and airbox etc will either show you that there is a possible leak or not. It's worth trying. When replacing the air filter was it properly wshed and then OILED as per the Service Manual? IF I was to Offer one bit of great advice it would be to order your sister the Proper Kawasaki Service Manual from Beartooth Kawasaki. Clymers and Haynes are great for pictures and stuff, but the Kawasaki manual will be SPECIFIC to her bike and model...just call Beartooth 1 800 556 3098, and you will get the 10% discount for being a forum member...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This forum is as informative as the VW forum...
Thanks for all the replies. I'll update when they decide what they'll do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts