Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 85 kdx 200 and the cylinder is bad can i use a newer cylinder the only thing i can find for a 85 is $500 i got the bike to start riding and im already in it for $800 i would like to see the bike move for once but if it going to cost too mush i will part it out.. so for i had to buy a magneto wich took four mounths to find but after i got it and put it in the bike ran very badly so i took it apart and notice the cylider problem so i havent even road the thing once and ive had it for a year

·
Registered
7 Posts
yeah man thats to bad. from any dealer it retails at $580 or so. but that cylinder isnt available anymore. so your best bet is to get one off ebay etc etc. whats wrong with the cylinder? maybe you have some options.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I don't think the '85 is a Nikasil plated cylinder so you should be able to get away with a bore/piston/rings/bearing unless its unusable for some reason. If you wanted to go eBay for a used one, the problem is the wait time until one gets posted. When listed, I've seen them go for about $75 shipped. Piston, rings, bearing should go for about $75 as well. If it is Nikasil plated and you need to re-plate, figure on quite a bit more and with new Piston, rings and bearing it's gonna be in the $250 or more range.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the cylinder isn't really bad but bad enough were when i honed it out the scatches are still there how do i find out if it is plated or not?? and if it iswere do i send it to be properly repaired.. like i said im already into the bike so the way i look at the more i do know the longer it will last

·
Registered
67 Posts
If its a nikasil cylinder put a magnet on it. The magnet should only slightly be attracted and it will pull off very easy- if its an iron sleeve, your magnet will stick to it and pull of harder. Nikasil also looks more silver and less like dark steal. You wound not hone a Nikasil cylinder as the hone could damage it. If it's Nikasil, I just use a scotchbrite pad and dip it in oil and clean it up. Look for flaking and pitting in the nikasil - this would put it in poor condition. Rings can catch, hot spots on the cylinder could develop as well. If this is situation your gonna need to re-nikasil the cylinder. I suspect you have a steel cylinder sleeve that can be honed (if within tolerance) or bored if you have an oversize still available. If it's Nikasil, there are a number of places you can find on-line that will do the job for you. I would ask your local kaw dealer.

·
Registered
36 Posts
You don't need to get it plated. Save the money, just run good octane gas and good pre mix.
No, just running Higher octane gas and better oil is not going to save the cylinder..... not trying to be rude , but sorry that doesn't cut it...

RedRocket the 1985-2001 are all the same bike... it might even be higher years , but cant remember what Jeff fredette told me.. I have a 94 kdx 200 and love the bike when it comes to some tuff rock riding.... the cylinders are nikasil plated and the only way to fix them , depending on how bad it is, is to get them resleved.. i know L.A Sleeve do good work , beacuse thats where we send all of our cylinders at my shop... but depending on where you live, you might be able to find a local shop that may do it..... i think you should go ahead and fix the bike again , beascuse the Kdx 200 is the most fun bike i have ever ridden... except for a ktm 300..hahah.. hope this helps...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts