Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

85 KX80 clutch problems

14K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  WFO-KZ 
#1 ·
I have changed the clutch plates and springs on my kx80. Now, the clutch is very hard and pretty much does nothing for the operation of the bike. I was told to put some slack on the spring bolts to allow space for the pusher bearing to engage the clutch. This is not mentioned in the service manual. Does anyone have any advice on this????

#6 ·
Thank you for getting back. I'm still trying to find an answer. When I tighten mine down I don't get any pull-back from the clutch handle movement. (after putting cover back on) I added a photo of the clutch spring plate that pulls the springs down to the clutch wheel posts. When I tighten that, it pulls that plate all the way to the bosses/pegs of the the clutch wheel compressing the springs and not allowing any movement for the springs to effectively do their job.

I also uploaded a picture of the springs I'm using per Martin-csr's question. The spring on the left is old and the one on right is new. (rotate pictures 90 deg clockwise in your brain. For some reason the forum view doesn't do this)

Thanks!

Attachments

#17 ·
mines is having the exact same problem lever is stiff and thsres no play plus when i put it into gear nothing happens
would anyone be able to tell me what order the friction plates and steel plates go in and if theres a certain type of way they go in

#8 ·
Sorry for the delay! I missed your response.

When I got it back together the clutch lever coming out of the crank case cover acts like there is zero resistance pushing back on it. It more or less makes sense because the clutch springs are effectively fully depressed when I tighten the spring plate down to the clutch wheel.

Otherwise it seems like I'd have to leave the bolts loose that push down the spring plate, which has me very concerned. I feel like I'm missing something basic.

#11 ·
Good news. I hope to have some feedback for you on that clutch. I took it to a place recommended by the local Kawasaki dealer and he figured it out. He told me on the phone all of the stuff I did wrong, but once I get a chance to see it I hope to have some feedback for you that can help you through it.

#13 ·
Ok, I finally got a chance to open back up and document for you. (and me for later notice)

Audio isn't great, but I think this should help you. Feel free to PM me and we can talk by phone if that's helpful. Rides great right now.

There are two more videos after this as part 2 and 3.

#18 ·
Has anyone figured out the clutch promblem. I'm experienced the same thing you tighten the spring bolts down and the springs our spring Bound. I can't get any movement out of the lever at all. The whole system seems to be backwards. Please give me a shout if you have any answers thank you

#19 ·
I have the same issue on my 1987. I just snapped 2 bolts using a tiny 1/8 drive wrench. I’ve come to the conclusion that it must remain loose enough for the springs to compress and allow the plate to separate. This is opposite of most clutch designs. I had to buy a new pressure plate since I snapped the bolts. When it arrives I will not tighten them all the way and test. I don’t know what else to do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.