Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought this bike as a project. Fuse block is melted and some of the connectors. I just got an '84 zn harness from ebay. I have hooked up most of the connectors but no power to the ignition switch. Could the fuse block be broken inside? What color wire carries power to the switch?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,473 Posts
Holy crap, no wonder you had a meltdown.

You should only have one 30 amp fuse and that is the one on the far right.
The one beside it, is for an accessory circuit and the fuse there should be 10 amps NOT 30. The 4th fuse from the right should be a 10 amp fuse for your tail light NOT a 30 amp. Finally, the last fuse on the left hand side should be a 10 amp accessory fuse NOT a 15 amp. The totally melted blob on the left hand side is where accessories get plugged in.

When a fuse keeps blowing you find the cause, you do NOT increase the fuse size as someone apparently has done on your bike. Fuses protect the wires etc, so it is no wonder that your fuse box started to melt. You may find melted wires elsewhere, but I guess if you got a new harness, hopefully that is not an issue.

I would suggest removing the junction box and testing for continuity and resistance in all circuits. Clean the contacts also and make sure the contacts make a firm grip on the fuses.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No clicks with ignition switch.
Holy crap, no wonder you had a meltdown.

You should only have one 30 amp fuse and that is the one on the far right.
The one beside it, is for an accessory circuit and the fuse there should be 10 amps NOT 30. The 4th fuse from the right should be a 10 amp fuse for your tail light NOT a 30 amp. Finally, the last fuse on the left hand side should be a 10 amp accessory fuse NOT a 15 amp. The totally melted blob on the left hand side is where accessories get plugged in.

When a fuse keeps blowing you find the cause, you do NOT increase the fuse size as someone apparently has done on your bike. Fuses protect the wires etc, so it is no wonder that your fuse box started to melt. You may find melted wires elsewhere, but I guess if you got a new harness, hopefully that is not an issue.

I would suggest removing the junction box and testing for continuity and resistance in all circuits. Clean the contacts also and make sure the contacts make a firm grip on the fuses.
All three 30 amp fuses are blown. I found fuse block and 5 other electrical pieces on ebay. Should have them by next week. I will continue work on the fuse block.
Thanks WFO-KZ0

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,473 Posts
You are welcome. Consider yourself lucky to have found a wiring harness. When I bought my basket case it was in need of a harness but I could not find a new or used one anywhere so I hand repaired about 50% of the harness with upgraded wires and new connectors.

The enemy of all harnesses is corrosion. You should check all connectors to make sure they are clean and tight.
There are plenty of good DIY instructions on the internet on how to clean your connectors so I won't repeat here.
But I will put in a plug for DeOxit (no affiliation). This product works great to clean connectors as long as they are not covered in green crud. If you have green crud, it will have to be mechanically removed and then you can finish with DeOxit.

In some cases you are better off, to just install a brand new connector but you will need a special crimping tool for that.

·
Registered
207 Posts
You are welcome. Consider yourself lucky to have found a wiring harness. When I bought my basket case it was in need of a harness but I could not find a new or used one anywhere so I hand repaired about 50% of the harness with upgraded wires and new connectors.

The enemy of all harnesses is corrosion. You should check all connectors to make sure they are clean and tight.
There are plenty of good DIY instructions on the internet on how to clean your connectors so I won't repeat here.
But I will put in a plug for DeOxit (no affiliation). This product works great to clean connectors as long as they are not covered in green crud. If you have green crud, it will have to be mechanically removed and then you can finish with DeOxit.

In some cases you are better off, to just install a brand new connector but you will need a special crimping tool for that.
I repaired a burned alternator connector and crumbling wire all the way into the alternator with auto parts connectors, wrapped it and glued the tape ends. Opps forgot to mark which wire was which. Don't do this.

·
Super Moderator
2,473 Posts
I highly recommend these guys for OEM connectors and the tools for crimping or depinning the connectors.
I have had great service and quality seems very good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts