Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a very nice 85 ZX600R. I see that in 88 the same model with some upgrades increased 10 horsepower. When I look at the parts dawings the heads, cams, cylinders, and carburators seem to have same part numbers. It does have different pistons with a .7 compression increase. Where did the 10 horses come from?

·
Registered
218 Posts
The marketing department!

To be fair, a 0.7 increase in compression ratio will have increased the power output but every manufacturer was prone to exaggeration at that time.

·
Registered
219 Posts
.7 increase in compression would not come close to explaining a 10 hp increase. Air box, exhaust and ignition advance curve could explain some of the increase but as davidr1963 said some of the increase was probably marketing hype. I remember when Yamaha listed the weight of an RD350 at 299 lbs. That was an important figure at the time for insurance purposes. Perhaps if you drained all the fluids, and I mean all, including trans. and brake fluid, removed the battery, let the air out of the tires and stripped all the paint you might approach 299 lbs but I doubt it. Lots of very creative marketing in that era.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts