Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First let me say hello all! :)

now to the problem I'm having. this is my first bike, and I was told of two minor problems.

1) bad neutral safety switch
2) bad brake light switch - front

It was 5 degrees outside, and the battery was low, so it turned over, but too weak to start. Now it's at my house in an 80 degree house, fully charged battery, gets fuel, and spark, but still does'nt start. The bike was winterizied, and tuned up and carbs cleaned. so with the info I've posted so far, what would you think may be wrong? I'm a bike newbie, so be easy please, thanks.

·
Registered
437 Posts
1) Did you have the bike in neutral and pull in the clutch anyway to start. Waitaminute, you have spark, so that neutral switch is not a problem. Forget that.

1a) Are you using the choke to start the bike?

1b) I would also say try fresh gas. I guess winterize means the gas was treated, but it's like a 1/2 gallon try, especially when you see what may be next.

2) What voltage does the battery read now. Also, if that is good (12.5VDC is near a minimum, maybe 12.3), need to see what the voltage is at the ignition coils, under the tank, when the switch is in the "on" position. That should solve the electrical side mostly: later we can go into seeing if the plug caps are weak.

Reasoning is: I just had a battery read fully charged by my battery tender, but my 2AMP charger would indicate a fail. This is right after I bought this battery, like out of the box. Sometimes it happens.

3) Have you had a compression check, and have you had the valves checked? These are the first mechanical things that I have seen to look at on a non runner. But you said it was tuned up, that is usually included in a good tune up. That is followed by the carbs, who cleaned them and how?
(So you know, this may have to be drastic: in warm weather, my bike would start with one low cylinder compression, valves to spec, and some really nasty carbs.)

I'll bet on the electrical side, but an 86 should have its valves checked.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1) Did you have the bike in neutral and pull in the clutch anyway to start. Waitaminute, you have spark, so that neutral switch is not a problem. Forget that.

1a) Are you using the choke to start the bike?

1b) I would also say try fresh gas. I guess winterize means the gas was treated, but it's like a 1/2 gallon try, especially when you see what may be next.

2) What voltage does the battery read now. Also, if that is good (12.5VDC is near a minimum, maybe 12.3), need to see what the voltage is at the ignition coils, under the tank, when the switch is in the "on" position. That should solve the electrical side mostly: later we can go into seeing if the plug caps are weak.

Reasoning is: I just had a battery read fully charged by my battery tender, but my 2AMP charger would indicate a fail. This is right after I bought this battery, like out of the box. Sometimes it happens.

3) Have you had a compression check, and have you had the valves checked? These are the first mechanical things that I have seen to look at on a non runner. But you said it was tuned up, that is usually included in a good tune up. That is followed by the carbs, who cleaned them and how?
(So you know, this may have to be drastic: in warm weather, my bike would start with one low cylinder compression, valves to spec, and some really nasty carbs.)

I'll bet on the electrical side, but an 86 should have its valves checked.
answers...

1a) yes, i've tried full choke, and nothing happens.

1b) the gas was treated. even sprayed some engine starting fluid past the air filter also. and changed the fuel filter.

2) the voltage is at 12.6v, but have'nt checked the voltage on the ign. coil yet.

3)Havent checked the the valves yet neither, due to the tune up. But I was thinking of taking it to the shop possibly for that.

But could it be that the starter clutch is bad, and if so, how much would that cost?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
***** UPDATE! *****

The person whom I bought the bike from came over and got it started. :) But only with push-starting it.

When he push-started it, it started up fine, and after it warmed up, I can get it to start with the starter with no problems. Now my new question is what needs to be replaced so that I would'nt have to push start it, when the engine is cold?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The valves need to be adjusted to the loose side of the tolerance. LOOSE ****ING LOOSE. If it's .002 to .006 adjust them to .006. **** do a ****ING SEARCH FOR THE THOUSAND TIMES I GAVE THE EXACT ****ING ADVICE! (I need a cup of coffee)
NEWS FLASH! :mad:

Watch your **** language on who you're talking to! I'm not a kid! How can you do a search for something, if you don't know what the problem is?! It would've helped if you posted a link, instead of being a horses @ss, and sounding mean!

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
It is incredibly difficult to diagnose a mechanical problem without having the bike in front of you. I can't help you, but some people have tried to do the best they can.

For the record, elr658 would say that to your face if you were standing in front of him, and he's just grouchy!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is incredibly difficult to diagnose a mechanical problem without having the bike in front of you. I can't help you, but some people have tried to do the best they can.

For the record, elr658 would say that to your face if you were standing in front of him, and he's just grouchy!
Now that, I can respect. And I appreciate everyone that gives me advice to help me out. However for elr658's case, his grouchy attitude is an emotion. Which isn't needed in my opinion. Advice, yes. Emotion, no.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
There are times when i wounder if we should have gotten them translated into stupid, If i have any doubts erl normally makes me see the light :biggrin:

I like erl cause he says what i think at times.

And i loved the series on TV called House and it's a fitting inclusion to his Frofile

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.