Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
***** this is on mechanics corner also, but my bikes vintage, I guess. lol *****

This is my first bike, and I was told of two minor problems.

1) bad neutral safety switch
2) bad brake light switch - front

It was 5 degrees outside, and the battery was low, so it turned over, but too weak to start. Now it's at my house in an 80 degree house, fully charged battery, gets fuel, and spark, but still does'nt start. The bike was winterizied, and tuned up and carbs cleaned. so with the info I've posted so far, what would you think may be wrong? I'm a bike newbie, so be easy please, thanks.

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
Did you accidently push in the kill switch?

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
Could be the neutral safety switch. Could be a lot of other things too. Would you elaborate more on just exactly what you've tried and exactly what the bike is/ is not doing? There is a trouble shooting sticky thread I believe in the mechanics section of the forum you may want to give that a look.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
Is the motor turning over with the starter and just failing to run? Is that why you are asking about the starter clutch. How did you determine that you have spark? Did you put a spare plug into at least one plug wire on each side and see a spark when using the starter?

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Neutral safety switch, sidestand lockout switch, clutch safety switch, too much choke, or a flooded engine would be my first guesses. I think you can successfully bypass all the switches in order to start the engine, but if you aren't used to bikes, it's handy to have them all in working order.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is the motor turning over with the starter and just failing to run? Is that why you are asking about the starter clutch. How did you determine that you have spark? Did you put a spare plug into at least one plug wire on each side and see a spark when using the starter?
did the spark plug test, and yes it does fire

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
***** UPDATE! *****

The person whom I bought the bike from came over and got it started. :) But only with push-starting it.

When he push-started it, it started up fine, and after it warmed up, I can get it to start with the starter with no problems. Now my new question is what needs to be replaced so that I would'nt have to push start it, when the engine is cold?

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Before you replace anything, try cleaning every connection between the battery and the starter. Check the thick cables for corrosion and replace those if they're showing broken wires or green mung (tech term there) and see if that fixes the problem. Dielectric grease is your friend during these trying times. ;)

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
Sounds like a new battery is needed.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Before you replace anything, try cleaning every connection between the battery and the starter. Check the thick cables for corrosion and replace those if they're showing broken wires or green mung (tech term there) and see if that fixes the problem. Dielectric grease is your friend during these trying times. ;)
checked connections, and all is good there. :)

Sounds like a new battery is needed.
He did say that it needs to be replaced soon. I can go and get it load tested tomorrow.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts