Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bored out my 87 Bayou 300 .020 over and installed a new oversized piston and had the valves vacuum checked. With everything back together and after setting timing and cleaning carb I am having a problem with it trying to start. When the engine turns over it will pop as if it is trying to fire off but will not run. I have about 125lb compression I have fire and I sprayed fuel in carb with these it should at least try to run. The only thing I can think of is a timing issue. I have lined the cam sprocket up with klf300 and set accordingly to the to the T mark on the alternator rotor. I have taken it off and double checked it twice I have even set it one camchain link forward and then aft of the correct Top setting at the camsprocket. I have set the valves to spec. When I turn the engine over by hand the valves open and close like they should at the right interval and the piston is at top dead center when aligned with the T mark and cam sprocket are in there right positions. Can I use a timing light when I try to start the engine and check for correct timing? I read something about a timing advance not sure how that works. Is there a sure way to check exactly when the engine fires? I'm stumped Its driving me crazy any input would be appreciated. Brian

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It does have pretty good spark. I just ohm tested the ignition unit and found it did not meet spec. I figured with a bad ignition unit I would not have spark at all. What exactly does this Ignition unit do?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is located at the rear behind the battery box just below the starter solinoid. By the manuel its labled IC on the unit itself it has written on it :
IGNITION UNIT
TYPE TID11-01A
Hitachi,Ltd Tokyo Japan
and has number 1026 on it also.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
Igniter uses the signal from the pickup coil and switches the ground off to the ign coils which generates the voltage necessary for the plugs to make the spark.

·
KLF 300 Restorator
7 Posts
I realise this is a very old thread but I'm having the same problem with my '86 bayou 300. Did you ever fix this issue? What was the fix?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It turned out to be the IC unit it's a black box (2"-2.5") located under the the rear fender behind the battery box. Mine had spark but it was weak installed new unit now runs like a top.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts