Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've started noticing a gas smell in my garage after I've ridden my Ninja and put it away. Sometimes it permeates the entire house. I didn't have this problem at first, but noticed it the last few weeks.
In fact, I just got another helmet (VR-1 modular, that I don't like) and noticed the smell while idling at a light.
Any place I should look first for a smell like that? If I air out the garage for several hours with the door barely open and a fan blowing out on high, the smell disapates after several hours.

Many of you will ask what I've done, so here goes... I had a rough runnign problem, so pulled the carbs and cleaned them out. I adjusted the float on #1 which wasn't closing the valve properly. I reinstalled them and synced them to within 1 bar of each other (on a mercury gauge). Before that, I'd adjusted the valves when I was chasing the rough running problem.

Should I replace the gas fill seal? (It actually looks ok) Is there a vent near the petcock that I could check?

I also noticed that if it sits for a few days, I have to 'prime' the carbs with the push button on the petcock before it will start, like the carbs evaporated or something. This has the vacuum controlled petcock, not the one with the 'on, off, and reserve' positions.

All help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
Most likely source of the leak/smell would be one of the carbs or the petcock. Of course there are other possibilities but you'll just have to start searching to find where it's dripping from.

P.S. If all the fuel is missing from 1 or more carbs after only a few days of sitting, then I'd start looking at the float bowl or drain on that carb as the probable leak/odor source. And be sure to check your oil to make sure no fuel has gotten into the oil. If it's overfilled or smells like gas then change the oil before running it.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't seem to have any leaks. Everything is dry, just the smell permeating the garage, and the one time riding and smelling it at the light. Thought I got the floats all set, but maybe I'll pull the carbs again. Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help. I found the smell. Turns out, last time I had the carb bowls off, I pinched the seal/gasket on #4. It allowed gas to seep out through it. Picked up a new one at the local dealer, and had it swapped out in about 20 minutes. Taken it for a few rides since the repair on Saturday, and no leak and no smell.

Just wanted to update everyone that had checked out this thread.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts