Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I got my first bike home, a 1988 EX250. It had been sitting for a year, but I charged up the battery and it fired straight up. Surprising! Even more surprising was when it stopped running and won't start up again!

The battery is fine, I try to start the bike and it tries to kick over a bit, but never starts running.

Why would it stop running when it was fine when I got it home? I don't want to pull the carbs and clean them (don't know how!) so is there anything else that will get it running?

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
456 Posts
When I look into my crystal ball I see:
1. The gas tank is rusty/goopy inside, but it hasn't been a problem, since none of that rust/gunk/goop/whatever was sucked into the carbs
2. Until you started it
3. Now it's in there, and you have to clean it out

Hopefully I'm wrong, but that's my diagnosis. Before I take apart the carbs, I'd pull the gas tank, drain the old gas, clean it as best you can, and put in a gallon of fresh gas. Make sure your plugs are clean and gapped correctly, charge up the battery, cross your fingers, and give her a crank. But don't crank too long, since you don't want to overheat the starter.

The next place I'd go is the carbs. They could probably use a good cleaning even if it's not your biggest problem.
Curt

1 - 2 of 2 Posts