Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres my problem. Around xmas I started my 89 ex500 up and it started just fine. I left for texas and didn't have a chance to start again until a couple of days ago but it would start. The engine would try to turn over but it wouldn't and then I would get clicking noises and then a static like sound coming from under my seat. Can anyone try to help me figure out what is wrong. Do you all think I need to change my starter. The battery is pretty new so I don't think thats it. Thanks for all the help.

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
It sounds like the battery needs charging. If you leave the bike set for any amount of time you'll do yourself a big favor buying and using a battery tender to keep the battery in top shape.

www.batterytender.com

Also....I would check the battery connections and make sure there isn't corrosion taking place.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Yah, it sound like the battery. Same thing happened on my 9R this morning when I went to start it. Its been cold and the battery wore down some. The instrument pannel flickered after a few trys and then it just clicked. So I pulled my tuck into the garage and jumped it and it worked fine. I'll prolly just get a new battery this spring. I don't know how long its been in there.

·
Registered
112 Posts
sounds like you drained the battery trying to start your bike.

also could be carbs are gummed up if u can clean em that might help and if not its always a good thing to do either way.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
how exactly do you jump a bike. do you run your car leave it off or just turn it on and not start the engine. it seems that everyone has a different way of doing it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts