Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 89 zx10b (tomcat) and unfortunately I am missing a portion of my airbox and wanted to know if you can run the bike as shown without this part as a "mod" per say? I assume you may get more air running it like this this as well?

Thank you for your time and advice.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,885 Posts
Yes you will get more air, and also more water when riding in the rain. More air will cause it to run leaner and might require carb adjustments. Are you unable to obtain the missing piece?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've tried searching on part warehouses and Ebay with no luck however I can purchase the entire airbox assembly for $140 shipped but I really can't afford spend it unless I have to as I've still got a lot of other necessary parts to purchase I.e. rotors, tire's, etc. Do you believe that water would be a real concern?

In regard to the bike running lean I was planning on going with stage 1 jets because of the k&n filter and slip on exhaust.

Yes you will get more air, and also more water when riding in the rain. More air will cause it to run leaner and might require carb adjustments. Are you unable to obtain the missing piece?

·
Super Moderator
1,885 Posts
I've tried searching on part warehouses and Ebay with no luck however I can purchase the entire airbox assembly for $140 shipped but I really can't afford spend it unless I have to as I've still got a lot of other necessary parts to purchase I.e. rotors, tire's, etc. Do you believe that water would be a real concern?

In regard to the bike running lean I was planning on going with stage 1 jets because of the k&n filter and slip on exhaust.
My advice would be don't ride in the rain. I was not aware of the exhaust mods so if doing the rejet you should be fine.
In the meantime maybe you can find a good used part or get one 3D printed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright, I appreciate your advice. Honestly I try not to ride in the rain if I can help it I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to have an issue if I was caught in a stretch of it. Thank you for the help, everyone here has been great despite my constant questions.

My advice would be don't ride in the rain. I was not aware of the exhaust mods so if doing the rejet you should be fine.
In the meantime maybe you can find a good used part or get one 3D printed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts