Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to adjust my valves but am not sure which line on the rotor to go by. I am using a Clymers manual but apparently it is not clear enough for me. This is my first go at adjusting valves so it is a learning experience.

There are 3 lines on one side of the rotor with the following labels, T, F1.4 and the third is not labeled. On the opposite side of those lines is another mark with T. See the pic attached. What does F1.4 mean?

If I line the crankcase timing mark and the first mark on the rotor none of the valves on cylinder 1 have clearance. If I then rotate about 2 milmeters to the F1.4 mark all the valves on cylinder 1 have clearance. So which is it?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
You don't need to worry about what mark it's on. Just rotate the the crank until the lobe on the cam isn't applying any pressure on the valve. Then, check your clearance and adjust accordingly.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
To answer your question though, the T and F 1 4 marks shown in the pic are T=top dead center for cylinders 1&4, and F=fire for cylinders 1&4. The other T mark is for top dead center for cylinders 2&3.

·
itching to ride
2,233 Posts
You don't need to worry about what mark it's on. Just rotate the the crank until the lobe on the cam isn't applying any pressure on the valve. Then, check your clearance and adjust accordingly.
+1
I always wonder why there is so much stipulation on getting the marks right when all is needed is getting it off the ramp. The whole base circle should be the same.

·
Obfuscation Engineer
6,704 Posts
for each individual cylinder . rotate crankshaft in normal direction ,observe intake vale closing , continue rotating to next tdc for that cylinder . this will be tdc on the compression stroke . adjust valves for that cylinder . repeat as necessary . YMMV :D

~kop

1 - 6 of 6 Posts