Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a used 1990 Ninja ZX10 from a guy who said the starter button needed replaced. He was able to start it before I paid him for it, so I know it does run. I drove it a few blocks and shut it off to pay him. After that it wouldn't start again. When I press the button, nothing seems to happen...no click, buzz, or anything that I could tell. I have done a little checking, but without a manual it is getting hard. I know the actual starter button is ok, because I tested it with a meter. The same goes for the engine kill switch and the switch on the kickstand. Oh, I did check the fuses in the junction box and the one on the solenoid itself. I haven't had time to locate a neutral switch yet. I can short the solenoid, and the bike turns over...doesn't start and run, but turns over well enough that it should. I may just not be choking it properly etc. Anyway, my concern right now is that the bike doesn't do anything when I press the start button. Any ideas on what might be going on? I am not a mechanic, but am fairly comfortable trying most things with some guidance. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Justin

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
so how did you test the starter button ?????? if you unplug it and put the meter on OHM (resistance) you should get ----->
.2-.8ohm with BUTTON PUSHED
and
OFL with button NOT PUSHED
same results with the other switches you checked. (kickstand,kill switch etc.)
so how/what did the guy do to start the bike before ?
does the neutral light come on ?
check the starter switch correctly first then go from there. your starter relay may be bad but rule out the starter switch first.
:wink:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tested the switches in the manner you mentioned. I don't remember the actual readings, but they were definitely reading in a range that would have been acceptable. All the guy did to start it when I was there was to trun the key on and press the start button...it kicked right off. He said it started earlier that morning too. He talked like that was abnormal and that it normally wouldn't start...however I think it was odd that it happened to start when it was time to hand over the cash. He did mention that he took it and washed it that morning...could be some connection there. The neutral light does come on when the key is on and I can change gears and go back into neutral and still have the same problem. Is there a way to check the starter relay?...meaning can I check for voltage on the control wires going into the top of the solenoid? If anyone had a wiring diagram for this model it would be a great help. Thanks for your help and let me know where I should go next.

Justin

1 - 3 of 3 Posts