Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I have read many threads on here in regards to no start/spark issues. My issues, although similar, havent been able to rectify with the other threads. None of my wiring colors seem to match up with other soloutions. I have crank as well as 12.4V at battery and at coils. Thats where I get lost. Pulled out my ignition to check for the resistor, no resistor. Wire colors at IGN are different. PU coil seems fine at 420ohms. When I crank engine both terminals on the coils seem to drop to 5-7v, As I understand one should drop while the other remains high. Just looking for some insight, seems like a lot of guys on here know there stuff. As well everyone seems to have a grey & brown wire at the CDI, I dont

·
Registered
522 Posts
CDI wires should be:-

In the 6-pin plug
RED....BLACK/YELLOW...BLACK...GREEN...GREEN/BLACK...BLACK/RED

In the 2-pin
BLACK...YELLOW-to the pick-up- coil

IGNITION-SWITCH wires should be:-
BROWN...WHITE...YELLOW...RED/BLUE...RED...WHITE/RED...ORANGE/GREEN

Which resistor were you looking for?

The only check i know of for ignition-coils is the primary and secondary resistance tests, did you check these?

Let us know m8.

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
cant remember off the top of my head but im thinking the pickup coil should be OFL (infinite resistance) since youre getting a reading its gonna be a closed circuit/grounded...... i dont think its supposed to be..... could be wrong since its been awhile since ive played with electrical.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did the primary ign coil test and they came in at 2.9 & 3.1ohms. The book has a range of 1.8-2.8ohms. Would this be my no-start issue?

·
Registered
522 Posts
cant remember off the top of my head but im thinking the pickup coil should be OFL (infinite resistance) since youre getting a reading its gonna be a closed circuit/grounded...... i dont think its supposed to be..... could be wrong since its been awhile since ive played with electrical.....
There should be the resistance impulser got QK, you're reading resistance of the coil itself, through it basically :)

impulser said:
Did the primary ign coil test and they came in at 2.9 & 3.1ohms. The book has a range of 1.8-2.8ohms. Would this be my no-start issue?
I'd doubt it, could just be a small inaccuracy in your meter, the thing i've got sometimes tells you it's Monday when you know it's Christmas :wink: .

Thinking about it check the plug-cap resistances and the air-gap and position of your pickup-coil.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have now seen spark, But it looks very weak! Even with some starting fluid it wont buck or sputter. Just cranks over and over. Checked battery voltage before i turned it over and was at 12.7v:confused:
Does this engine require intake restriction to fire? It should fire up with the intake off i'd assume.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got her to fire finally this morning, ran for 3mins and the cam chain tensioner let go. Ripped the tensioner apart and rigged it to stay open, re-timed the engine. Running like a dirty ***** now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts