Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, my 900 classic is a wonderful bike but could use 6th speed or overdrive. Anybody has any info or experience with this issue?

·
IBA#34418
6,332 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
Personally, I have'nt done anything to my 900. It doesn't complain about 80mph speeds and I don't want to go any faster, however, the majority of those that don't like it have been replacing the front sprocket with a larger one. That seems to be the satisfactory answer. There is a thread somewhere on the forum about replacing it, maybe more.
I hope this is some help for you.
Michael

·
VN 900 Classtom
1,689 Posts
Welcome,
On the overdrive I had a Scootworks front pulley and a couple of weeks ago I took it off and sold it. The difference you gain is minimal if you only add the front or rear alone. I could not get mine to stop squeeking and per some reviews I read here it has to do with the design and for those two weeks I had it I thougt it was my lack of mechanical skills. Many times I put the bike on the jack and tried to adjust and readjust but no luck with mine. Some will tell you they have no noises or issues, others will tell you they can survive with the squeeking. In my opinion if you do lots of freeway riding at or over 70mph a single pulley won't offer much help. My bike started to rev high at 70mph with the sw pulley and at 65mph without. I still would love to get my hands on a pair of pulleys but constructed out of steel and the design as close to the OEM one. If I don't find anything I may have to upgrade to a bigger cruiser.

·
Enjoying midlife Crisis!
452 Posts
When tire replacement time comes, go with a 170/80 or 200/70 instead of the stock 180/70. The 200 will cost you more than stock, the 170 will likely cost you less. Will gain you approximately the same benefit as the SW front pulley. I'm on my 2nd 170/80 rear now, won't ever go back to stock size as the bigger tire works just fine without any mod to the bike.

·
Take it to the Limit
629 Posts
I was just like you... Had my bike two weeks and couldnt stand the upper speed vibration and reving of the engine, so I put on the Scootworks front pulley on my 900 and it now been two years and I havent looked back.. It doesnt squeel and I now have 30K on it.. Over time as you break in the 900 the engine settles down and smooths out.. For me this has been the best Mod I did to my bike.. I ride 80mph daily to work.. The reality for me is I need a bigger bike..

One suggestion though, the factory tension on the belt is way to tight.. Back off the tension and you'll be very pleased, but not to much.. You don't want the belt wobble... I highly recommend the pulley if you are set on getting that sixth gear feel.

·
Reborn Biker
89 Posts
I was just like you... Had my bike two weeks and couldnt stand the upper speed vibration and reving of the engine, so I put on the Scootworks front pulley on my 900 and it now been two years and I havent looked back.. It doesnt squeel and I now have 30K on it.. Over time as you break in the 900 the engine settles down and smooths out.. For me this has been the best Mod I did to my bike.. I ride 80mph daily to work.. The reality for me is I need a bigger bike..

One suggestion though, the factory tension on the belt is way to tight.. Back off the tension and you'll be very pleased, but not to much.. You don't want the belt wobble... I highly recommend the pulley if you are set on getting that sixth gear feel.
+1 on the pulley. It does take the "need to shift" away. This tranny still revs high at 70+, but this calms it down abit. When I need tires, I will go with the larger one to reduce the revs even more. I still need about 5k more miles on the tires I have though.

·
Enjoying midlife Crisis!
452 Posts
Waterman, I don't believe you can use an oversize tire with the Scootworks front pulley, check that out before you purchase your tire.

·
VN 900 Classtom
1,689 Posts
Waterman, I don't believe you can use an oversize tire with the Scootworks front pulley, check that out before you purchase your tire.
Yup you can ;)
I had the pulley with a Avon Venom 200-70-15 and never had any issues even when two up. I know many siad it wouldn't work, rubbing issues but I didn't experiense anything of that nature.

My issue was the pulley creating all kinds of noises. If I wouldn't experiense those noises by now I would have the rear one installed as well.:cry:

·
VN 900 Classtom
1,689 Posts
+1 on the pulley. It does take the "need to shift" away. This tranny still revs high at 70+, but this calms it down abit. When I need tires, I will go with the larger one to reduce the revs even more. I still need about 5k more miles on the tires I have though.
See my previous post above. I have the 200-70-15 and it worked with no issues.

·
Reborn Biker
89 Posts
Thanks V-Twin. By the way. I did get the squeak, but wound up using silicone spray to fix it.

·
VN 900 Classtom
1,689 Posts
Thanks V-Twin. By the way. I did get the squeak, but wound up using silicone spray to fix it.
Tell me a bit more on this silicone spray please!!
Does it works for longer than two hours??

I was using something that's call Belt Dressing made by Prestone. Disign to eliminate squeaks and chatter but at least in my case it only work for a couple of hourse and then the squeaking came back everytime and loud. Also that left a gummy black resedue on my belt, both pulleys and the rim. The last ride I took was about 300 miles and had to stop to spray some of this stuff four times. If this silicone spray really works I may consider buying the front and rear pulleys so it can really make a good difference. Love my 900, it offers enough power to cruise comfortable, light and looks great parked next to any bike. If I can't find something that lowers the high rev at 80 I may end up trading for a vn1700. Thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts