Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after reading all kinds of posts and stuff on tire swaps, scootworks & Myron pulley's/sprockets I still have some questions.
First off I have a 07 900 Classic with the front Scootworks OD pulley. I like it alot, it works great for me as most of my riding is highway. I still think I could use somemore upper end gearing or lowering of gear as it is. From what I have read a taller rear tire is out as there is not enough room for even going 1 size bigger with just the front pulley (od). So that sort of leaves either a Scootworks rear OD pulley $300+ or this fellow Myron I hear about but have no idea how much his least expensive rear pulley is.
So I got to looking for a used rear pulley on E-Bay. No go nobody has one listed as of now. But I got to looking and there are alot of other "stock" Kawasaki rear pulley's for grabs. Will any of the other stock pulley's fit? Has anyone tried one? I would have to guess that teh VN 2000 is to big. But I saw one for like a KZ 440 or 454 500 something in that size range and it was listed as a 60 tooth pulley. That makes it -2 from what a Scootworks is so overall you would loose -6 teeth. I wounder if this could be made to fit with maybe a couple of spacers or something you could fabricate up yourself. Any ideas if the belts are the same width? Would it kill it too much with the front SW pulley and a 60 tooth rear?

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well maybe if Rich Lockler gets back he will have the answers. lol He knows all kinds of specs for alot of different bikes. If I knew where a bike salvage yard was by me I might be inclined to go and measure up some stuff. I really think the biggest stumbeling block to using the KZ 440 pulley is if the belts are the same width. Looks like there are acouple on e-bay and the 440's were made in the 81-82 years. There is also a EN450 listed in 86 as the 454.
This is the 440 pulley

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I understand the difference in the bolt pattern, but whats to say a fellow couldnt make an adapter. If you go to e-bay and look at one with the rubber dampener thing still on it it looks real simular. I think the determining factor will be belt width myself. If the pulley was the same width as ours, I think a fellow could get an adapter machined up for under $100, might even be cheaper than that.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Ok, I am finally on board with your idea. I spent a little time on bike bandit's parts breakdown and the only stock 440 pulley I could find is a 68 tooth pulley. Do you have any more info on a 60 tooth pulley as that might be perfect for the 900 if it would fit?

TIA,

rick

·
Registered
241 Posts
I missed the belted version of that earlier. The parts diagram shows it is indeed a 60 tooth pulley, nice.

1981 Kawasaki KZ440 BELT(KZ440D2)US OEM Parts, 1981 Kawasaki KZ440 BELT(KZ440D2)US OEM Motorcycle Parts - BikeBandit.com

It might be easier than you think. The pulley is a 3 piece design that bolts together so you might be able to machine an entire new center piece that would fit right up to all of the 900 stuff. You could also shim the 3 piece pulley system a bit if you needed to get to the larger belt. I haven't been able to find out any info on pitch yet. The pulley looks to be a bit on the wimpy side but you might be able to machine in some more strength.

rick

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did notice that on one or 2 of the pulley's I looked at, that they were a multi-pice deal. I supose you could get like an entire center hub piece machined and bolt it in. Then you wouldnt have the "flimsy" looking piece of the one factory unit. Still even with it I dont think you would have problems with breakage unless your doing burn outs etc. Its one of them things I guess need to collect some data and go to a motorcycle salvage yard and hunt and measure. Lets see, if you can make it work, design the piece and machine a "adapter hub" and dont break the bank. You could probably sell a bunch of them. I know if I figure out a way to change the rear pulley without spending over $300 (more around $100) I'd go for it. Of course if you get it figured out, some jerk will buy up all the used rear pulley's and charge a fortune for them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts