Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Take it to the Limit
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many miles can I expect to get out of my clutch on my 900 before it will need replacing? I know it depends on how I ride, but I am just looking for an average of what most riders have experienced.. I aske as I have 15K on my bike and the clutch is working fine, however my engagement point is nearly all the way out... I thgouth I would adjust it with the cable, but it doesnt appear there is any way to adjust is short of pulling the case cover.. Any ideas?

·
Politicians' Nightmare
1,871 Posts
Have you used the adjuster in the middle of the cable as well as the one at the bottom where the cable connects with the clutch release lever?

·
900 LT
1,135 Posts
Your engagement point was almost all the way out when you got the bike (most metrics are) i been riding for 30 some odd years never replaced a clutch in any of my bikes bought em all new and rarely let anyone ride em.

·
see ya Thursday
279 Posts
don't know about the 900 be I just replaced my clutch on 96 1500 classic 37000 miles, was slipping for a little while, mostly in second now the lever give some resist and my hand gets tired lol

·
Politicians' Nightmare
1,871 Posts
I've had the same experience with clutches as R4L - never worn one out in 40 years of riding. If the engagement point now is where it was when the bike was new, the clutch isn't slipping, and there is about 1/10 inch of cable slack as measured at the handlebar lever I would just leave well enough alone. If it's slipping that's obviously another matter and if the adjustment is as specified in the owner's manual the problem may be with the engine oil. Some oils apparently encourage slipping.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts