Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a chance two days ago to ride about 75 miles with the new seat. Gotta say that this is probably the best upgrade I could've done for the money. I highly recommend the Kawi Comfort Gel Seat(pn: K53001-194) for the 900 Custom. It appears as though it uses the same seat pan as the 900 Customs stock seat so there's no issue with covering those scratches on the tank from the stock seat. No more shifting around to get comfortable. No more but burn. The Comfort Gel Seat gives me the impression that it moved my seating position about an inch forward. I'm not sure if it's just perception because the incline of the Comfort Gel Seat makes it almost effortless to sit closer to the neutral postion(see below) instead of the more leaned back position of the stock seat, which caused me to hold myself forward, causing muscle fatigue on longer rides. A friend of mine has a Mustang seat with the riders back rest. That has great support, however it made me feel trapped on the seat, which I didn't like. I give the Comfort Gel Seat a two thumbs up.
:D Stock seat on the left/Cofort Gel Seat on the right

Oh Yeah, almost forgot... I picked the seat up from Ebay, seller was Ron Greene Sports. They've since had more seats for sale on Ebay for $100.00 less than Kawasaki. I paid $140.00 + $15.00 shipping... brand new! :-D

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
PC,
Thanks for the cool product writeup and analysis. Its always good to see that someone tried something and is willing to share the info with the rest of us. Along with Ride Reports, Product Reviews make up some of the best reading on the forum. (IMHO)
Painless Black Wolf
...Here for the Dawn...

2005 Drifter 800

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Been waiting for my seat since July.......
Don't get me started.......

Great graphic showing seat profile!

·
900 Customer
901 Posts
Great info. I'm probably going to pick up this seat even though I don't have too much of an issue with the stock one. Can you offer any insight on the passenger portion of the seat? I have yet to take on a passenger on the 900 but the stock passenger pad on the Custom looks really harsh.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Girlfriend says she felt every bump with the stock passenger seat. She would push down on the pegs to raise her butt up whenever we'd go over bumps/rough road. She said all her weight was on her tailbone and it was very uncomfortable. With the new seat she said the pressure on her butt was equalized, having taken the weight off her tailbone. It was like the new seat had it's own shock absorber. She gives passenger portion of the comfort gel seat a two thumbs up!

The passenger portion of both the stock seat and comfort gel seat are about the same size. Don't let the small size of the passenger seat of the comfort gel fool you. With the passengers weight dispersed, the point pressure on the tailbone in neutralized.

·
Missy Peregrym's #1 fan!
7,792 Posts
awesome review!

anyway we can get an aerial to see the width of the passenger pillion?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is the best I can do for now. Stock on the left and comfort gel on the right. The new seat came with the grab strap but I didn't show it in this pic.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The passenger pillion on the stock seat appears to be wider than the gel seat, but if you look closely, the sides of the stock seat go down and out toward the seat pan, where as the sides of the gel seat are almost verticle. So the actual area of the seat that comes in contact with the passengers butt is very close to the same size.

·
Missy Peregrym's #1 fan!
7,792 Posts
thanks, that is helpful, i guess i'll look elsewhere. My wife has junk if you know what i mean :D she hates the width of the stocker.... appreciate it

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
thanks, that is helpful, i guess i'll look elsewhere. My wife has junk if you know what i mean :D she hates the width of the stocker.... appreciate it
Hey Chris, I got this:

Guy on ebay sells them, and it helps with passanger comfort.
I have been waiting for the gel seat with the BIG pillion forever and am about to give up now that I have the new bike.

·
Registered
17,940 Posts
Baby's Got Back.....

Hey Chris, I got this:

I have been waiting for the gel seat with the BIG pillion forever and am about to give up now that I have the new bike.
That thing is pretty cool, John. My wife might be interested in that thing too. What's the seller's info, or a search term I can use to look for it?

·
Missy Peregrym's #1 fan!
7,792 Posts
Hey Chris, I got this:

I really like the lower profile of that one... Like Kevin said... anymore info John?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Great reveiw PC, gald that you like it and esp, that it is comfortable. Im still stuck in the snow and cold. No chance to ride snow & ice on the roads, let alone no time to put on the seat either. Guess I just have to be patient>

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oz, that stinks... nothing worse than having a new add on and not be able to test it out! I guess if your a skier the weather's not all bad!

·
Registered
200 Posts
The Comfort Gel Seat gives me the impression that it moved my seating position about an inch forward. I'm not sure if it's just perception because the incline of the Comfort Gel Seat makes it almost effortless to sit closer to the neutral postion(see below) instead of the more leaned back position of the stock seat
Has anyone else felt this? As far as the reach I think it is very comfortable, then again I am coming off riding sportbikes so anything is really more comfortable than what I was on. One thing that I do wish I could do is move myself forward a touch. Not so mcuh to help the reach (but woud be nice) but more for my legs. My short legs seem almost straight out when riding my 900. Was wondering if this feeling of being an inch forward is more of you sitting up straighter or your whole body was moved a little forward.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey fireplug... I brought the gel seat inside to line it up with the stock seat and this is what I saw.

The best way for me to explain this, short of you seeing it in person, would be to have you sit in a chair in front of your computer with your legs extended forward a little so that your feet just sit flat on the floor. Slide your butt forward a little in the chair and lean back at an angle... this would be the stock seat. Now, slide your butt back about 1 inch on the seat and lean forward about one inch. It's much easier to reach the keyboard now and, if you notice, your legs aren't really any closer or further than they were.

I hope this is a help!

·
Proud Hokie!!
564 Posts
Thanks for the great review!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts