Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Scootworks Pulley arrived yesterday and had it installed this morning. I agree with other posts I've read about it in that if you ride on the highway for any amount of time this is a must have. My shifting before the Scootworks pulley was [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], and [email protected](and thats pushing each gear a little).

No tach so I couldn't see the difference in how the engine behaves, but before the install my speedo would read 25mph and the portable police radars were all saying 21mph. Some things to consider now if the speedo is almost corrected or is correct now(haven't had a chance to run past the portable radars yet)...

After the pulley install, when the speedo reads 30mph is when I feel that
natural point to upshift from 1-2 as compared to 25mph before the
pulley install. So according to the speedo I've gained an extra 5mph
until I shift, but it was also off by 4mph before and if corrected now, thats a net gain of about 9mph. It becomes more noticeable as I go up in the gears and at 80mph it's a very smooth ride.:D

Oh yeah... almost forgot... dealer installed it for $79.00

·
Pinson, Alabama
416 Posts
Notice much loss of acceleration on first are second gear?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No noticeable loss at all. I can't think of a great way to explain it, but from a stop, accelerating in 1st gear is smoother. If there is a slight loss in acceleration it's compensated for by the fact that each gear has a little more leg to it, and the duration at which I have to shift is farther apart.

If you placed 2 900's side by side, 1 with the pulley upgrade and 1 stock, I think the race at almost any speed would be too close to call... except maybe for top end speed which I guess would be a little more for pulley upgraded bike.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I placed the order over the internet at about 1:00 a.m. this past Friday. Friday morning Scootworks shipped it out and they said 2 business days. When I woke up on Tuesday morning I logged in to the Fed-ex site to track the package at 8:45 a.m. and it said "DELIVERED"! I opened my front door and there it was!!!!

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I ordered mine and found out that they had shipped the last one they had about 15 minutes before my order was received, so it took a couple weeks BUT they sent me a super secret one that is 5% stronger, 10% faster and 100% cooler then the one you can buy. But don't worry, If we ever meet I'll be nice and just play like mines just like yours.

Do not be fooled.

You can put the front pulley on in an hour fi you are familiar with a wrench without pulling the rear wheel off and then working with all that is involved with that. With the front pulley you only need loosen the drive belt and then stuff slides off and goes back on.
I believe they both reduce about the same %. Well, yours will anyways. So, having my druthers I'd go with the front. You will not have any more power by the way with both gears, I don't think you'll be going any faster in 5th. I think we're actually using all the little engine has stock. You might actually start loosing the upper end of the gear. I haven't really accelerated on my big hill on the way to work. It's marked 65 and I usually do 80 going up the thing. I used to accelerate up to 90 on it under good conditions. Conditions have not been good since I have had my pulley in the mornings. They have been fine on the way home and on the short run (1.5miles) on the way to the peak from the other side of the hill (where I had my fastest runs on the bike, 120 indicated 10% error 108actual) I was doing 93 full out. It is a mild grade and before the pulley I could usually hit a tad over 100, which would have been around 91-93. The down side of the hill is has a bridge at the bottom where the police love to sit and aim their lasers up the hill. I have not tried to see if the wheels will explode before the motor. The 120 the other way was my vista cruise on and my mind on my XM player and a slight wind at my back. In theory, I'd like to know. In reality, I'm too much of a chicken to do it on purpose. Would the bike hold up? I think it probably would. Would I lose my license and insurance and wife and house and bike if I did it? You would have to know my luck to know YESSSSS!!!!!! If the police NEVER were there on that stretch of road, the moment I decided to go for it they would suddenly appear with 15 radar units from 20 different states with the promiss that the last run of the Ghost Rider was going to be through at any minute.

Then they'd stop me, throw me in a ditch and shoot me. I can get by with the occasional accident.

Where were we? Oh yes, I'd do the front pulley but I don't think I'd do the rear around here where we have small hills. In flat country like between Houston and Galveston, probably would do both.

Now, I'm saving up for a fuel controller and one of them rip off air intakes.

·
jerkybear's Vulcan
418 Posts
Oh yeah... almost forgot... dealer installed it for $79.00
Dude, that's a good price. I talked with my local Kawi dealer, and he had not even heard of the pulley.:eek: He didn't even realize that the speedo was off by 10-15%. He said he had heard about the speedo being off a couple of weeks ago from another customer, who wanted it corrected. The mechanic called Kawi and they said that they knew the speedo was off, and that it was okay. And, No, they won't fix it. So, I told the mechanic about the Scootworks.com pulley, and he said when he sees the guy again, he will tell him about it. He couldn't even give me an estimate to the charge for the pulley install. Bet it would be too rich for my blood.

A guy on the forum got his installed at another dealership for $35. I mentioned that to the guy, and he looked surprised. I guess I'll be riding to Longview to get mine installed. Don't trust my mechical skills.

·
jerkybear's Vulcan
418 Posts
Which is better to replace, the front or rear pulley?
Check the scootworks.com site. They have the % of decrease documented. There really is very little difference between the 2 other than the rear is boocoo expensive and I don't know if it is available yet. My 0.02. Craig:cool:

·
Registered
905 Posts
I've had the front pulley for about 6 months, and never thought about this until I saw it in print.
The speedo is corrected by about 5mph, and the new shift points seem to be about 5mph farther out. Wonder if the shift points are really extended, or if it just appears that way now that the speedo is corrected?

Regardless of shift point mph, 1st - 2nd is smoother, and highway cruising is much better.
Like you mentioned, you'd need a tach to check it before and after the swap to confirm.
Still some of the best money spent on the bike.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts