Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In size, how does the 900 vulcan custom compare to a honda shadow sabre, or vtx 1300-c. I am talking about in dimensions such as height, length, width, and weight. I was told that I make the 900 vulcan look small and I was already having some concerns that the 900 might not be big enough.

·
2x the bike for 1/2 the $
1,175 Posts
I'm pretty sure you can just google that info yourself.. If you feel like not being completely lazy..

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,189 Posts
In size, how does the 900 vulcan custom compare to a honda shadow sabre, or vtx 1300-c. I am talking about in dimensions such as height, length, width, and weight. I was told that I make the 900 vulcan look small and I was already having some concerns that the 900 might not be big enough.
I have ridden the 750 Shadow and VTX1300c and I own a 900 Custom, soo . . . . .

The 900 has significantly more power than the 750 Shadow. The 900 also has more ground clearance when turning corners.

The VTX1300C has slightly more power than the 900. It is more top heavy than the 900. It feels significantly heavier than the 900, but you would have to read the spec sheet to actually compare the weights.

The 900 Custom feels more nimble than the VTX when riding and allows you to feel like one with the bike. The 750 feels like the 900's smaller, under powered brother. I have no qualms about my purchase of my 900 Custom.

Oh, I forgot about the lack of fuel injection on the VTX! :mrgreen:

Update: I followed the above links and the 900 is definately lighter than the VTX. I rode the 750 and not the 1100, but I rode behind one on a small group ride (my uncle was riding it) and I wouldn't own one after the sounds that the exhaust made!

·
Registered
574 Posts
The 900 feels and looks bigger than the VTX. The engine is not bigger nor does it look bigger, but much of the rest of the bike is. You should be able to tell when sitting on it. The tank is .9 gallon or so bigger and longer. The rear wheel is larger too. The pegs are more stretched out on a 900 and the seat height is equal or higher.

·
Registered
20,606 Posts
pretty sure the relevant manufacturer websites list the full specs of their bikes......

check them out.

it's exactly what the rest of us would do to try and answer your own question.

don't be lazy!

:lol:

·
1600 Nomad
147 Posts
Yes, I agree that you should do a search. Include one on the honda forums as part of your efforts.

As to the questions, the Kawi 900 Custom looks smaller than the Kawi 900 Classic. If looks are really your issue, only you can answer.

At 30 pounds difference, or 5%, I'm not sure one would notice. Once you were used to riding one particular bike.

IMHO, Fuel Injection vs Carb is HUGE !!!!

The e10 fuel is havoc on carb engines, of all types. This pertains to plastic inside in the construction of carbs in particular. With the fight on by the corn farmers to make the fuel e15, stay away from carb engines.

The problems with boats and jet ski's are already legend. As the off-season in much shorter for MC, the "problem" is handled without the uproar of other power sports. But, be certain that this is a huge issue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeh, sorry, should have searched around a bit more. I was just going to kawasaki's website ( http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/product-specifications.aspx?id=425&scid=7 ) and wasn't finding the dimensions. Also wasn't having any luck finding the sabre dimensions on honda's website.

I was awarded the pleasure of riding a VTX 1300-C for the first time. I got to ride it for around an hour. It definitely felt a LOT heavier than the 900 custom and the shadow sabre.

I have not heard about this problem with the ethanol gas. That is major if that is the case. My bike mechanic did tell me to try my hardest to find gas without ethanol in it for my 73 titan 500. I will go search now and see if I can find more info about this. Would be a great way to convince my dad on the fuel injected kawasaki vs the carbd honda's.

I really am not too worried in the looks department, but when I first set out to buy a bike I was thinking I needed at least an 1100 and no smaller. So I have been having various insecurities about the 900 being a big enough bike, but now I am really thinking the 900 vulcan custom is going to be the one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have been reading reviews for the past several hours and people keep referring to the 900 vulcan as a beginners bike. I have been riding for most of my life so I am by no means a beginner, just wondering if there is a possibility that I will get bored with the bike quickly for some reason?

·
Registered
146 Posts
i think they refer to it as a beginer bike just because it is one of the smaller better (easier) handling bikes out there. I got mine as my first bike but havent got bored with it yet. I was looking at a 650 vstar but for the same money i got the 900 with 1200 miles on it, im sure that by now i would have been bored with the 650 but the 900 is still plenty of bike for me, and the styling of the custom and the fact that it is fuel injected is a deffinite plus also.

·
Registered
113 Posts
just wondering if there is a possibility that I will get bored with the bike quickly for some reason?
The question I'd ask myself is "what do I want out of the bike?"

Also, some stats on yourself might help. I'm 6'1", 180lbs and the 900 Custom fits me okay. A bigger/heavier guy might be better on the 1300...

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am 5'11 220 (need to loose about 30 pounds). No reliability issues of any kind with the vulcan? 2 different small (non brand) repair shops have said they see kawasaki a lot more than honda in their shops, has my financing worried.

·
This snow has got to go!
513 Posts
I am 5'11 220 (need to loose about 30 pounds). No reliability issues of any kind with the vulcan? 2 different small (non brand) repair shops have said they see kawasaki a lot more than honda in their shops, has my financing worried.
Doesn't really surprise me that they do. I see kawasaki's all the time but not too many Hondas. It's possible (no numbers to back this up) that there are WAY more kawasaki's on the road than Hondas so that he sees more is only partial information.

Edit: Did some actual research on this and it looks like Honda outsells Kawasaki so maybe there is some truth to it. I can say that I have had 2 Vulcans and have never had any problems with them at all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts