Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Rubber side Down,,,
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Took her to the shop (the dealer) today, after the rain here in Cali the last few days, she started squeaking from the rear wheel. It's not the brake, the noise persists during brake load. It seems to stop at higher speeds, but I may just not be able to hear it.

Any ideas???

·
VN 900 Classtom
1,689 Posts
Was this the reason you took it to your dealer or it had other issues/maintenance done and was given back like this?

·
Need Time To Ride
3,247 Posts
Sqeaky noise from the rear wheel is almost always wheel alignment making the belt noisy. I adjusted my rear wheel for the belt to ride next to outside edge of the rear pulley and the annoyance went away. Do a search on the belt - it's a common problem.

·
Rubber side Down,,,
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sqeaky noise from the rear wheel is almost always wheel alignment making the belt noisy. I adjusted my rear wheel for the belt to ride next to outside edge of the rear pulley and the annoyance went away. Do a search on the belt - it's a common problem.
Ahh,, Yeah,,, first,(angliam), I saw that post last year when it came out,,

next Q (V-Twin): Yes it is why I took it to the dealer, I have the GTTP and I'm hoping it's covered. And, no it's not from their servicing it.

As for belt alignment, it's not that. The squeaking is on the right side (brake side). I'm pretty well versed in mechanical things, I used to own an automotive biz, but that was a lifetime ago, and now I live in a small apartment in San Francisco, so , no tools to brake it down myself.
She's got a little over 11,000 on her. Funny thing, as I was riding earlier I was thinking how she's really just broken in now, handles great, and runs great. Then later I heard the noise and thought it was the cars around me, like a squealing fan belt, so while I was running errands I stopped by the dealer.
It may be the bearing (it's a sealed unit).

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I would go with belt alignment/adjustment. Thats from my personal experience.

·
Rubber side Down,,,
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think you're right.

I picked it up from the shop last night, the tech said he couldn't reproduce the noise, although the service writer heard it. No biggie, ' didn't cost me anything.
Today, there it was (is), and I'm sure it's just because of the rain lately.
Thanks to everyone, I appreciate your opinions and suggestions.

Carl

·
Need Time To Ride
3,247 Posts
I've heard a few people mention bearing problems and it's worth checking out, but the belt on the 900 is the most common source of noise.

·
Original Oklahoma *******
38 Posts
I've heard a few people mention bearing problems and it's worth checking out, but the belt on the 900 is the most common source of noise.
Yup...my 900 Classic LT would have a squeak after it had been sitting for a day. It would go away after a few miles..then do it again the next day. Had to be re-aligned and belt tension set to specs. Problem solved.

·
Rubber side Down,,,
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So,,,,,
The squeak stopped. Then it rained and it came back again,
and then stopped.
I'm pretty sure it's nothing more than annoying. I've ridden leaning from side to side, and listened to try to pinpoint the source, and I think it's just the brake. After the rainy season, I'll just do a thorough clean and lube of the rear wheel, belt, and clean the brake really well. Until then,, it's just embarrassing and annoying when I roll up to stop lights or signs.

That 'll pretty much put this thread to bed for me, but I'm always interested in hearing from all the members here, so feel free to share your experiences. BTW: I love my 900 custom,,, what do you think about putting a 2000 motor in this bike. Maby a bored and stroked 1600? Just a thought.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts