Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to a dealer today and they had a Kawi gel seat for the 900....so I got the guy to unwrap it an put it on a Custom in the show room...I didn't like it. For 250 I don't think it would be worth it...it felt like it moved me forward about an inch like I was sitting on the tank. and the whole "gel" part was kinda dissapointing....it actually felt harder than my stocker...I have found a website of a fella that takes your stock seat and does whatever you want to it...i.e...move you forward or back on the sitting postion, add memory foam, add a gel pad and memory foam, make it wider for your passenger, do double foam. all kinds of stuff and most of it around like 100$ each...much more appealing than 250 for a seat that you may or may not like...at least with this guy you get to choose. Just wanted to express my findings........any feedback would be great.

Mean City Cycles Custom Seat Modifications :: Seat Modifications

·
Registered
17,940 Posts
It's supposed to be harder. Soft does not necessarily = comfort. Think of the rubber sole of a sneaker. It's hard, yet comfy, and you'd probably feel better walking around in them all day as opossed to a soft cushy pair of slippers.

The stock seat pan geometry under the foam just plain sucks and puts pressure on your tail bone, and offers little to no lower back support. After market seats are noticeably harder, but are better shaped to alieviate these "hot spots", and usually drop you an inch or so for your back.

To sit on one in a showroom for a few minutes can give you an impression of being too firm and have you not liking it. After you ride one and the gel dispersses under your weight you almost get a custom seat.

I just got a Corbin and my first sit down had me saying wow, this is hard. After 15 minutes on the road, I was in love. Like anything else it takes getting used to, like a new pair of sneakers that seem tight because you're so used to the old stretched out ones, ya know?

With all that said, don't be surprised if this guy changes your stock seat and your still not happy with it.

Best of luck in your saddle quest.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
It's supposed to be harder. Soft does not necessarily = comfort. Think of the rubber sole of a sneaker. It's hard, yet comfy, and you'd probably feel better walking around in them all day as opossed to a soft cushy pair of slippers.

The stock seat pan geometry under the foam just plain sucks and puts pressure on your tail bone, and offers little to no lower back support. After market seats are noticeably harder, but are better shaped to alieviate these "hot spots", and usually drop you an inch or so for your back.

To sit on one in a showroom for a few minutes can give you an impression of being too firm and have you not liking it. After you ride one and the gel dispersses under your weight you almost get a custom seat.

I just got a Corbin and my first sit down had me saying wow, this is hard. After 15 minutes on the road, I was in love. Like anything else it takes getting used to, like a new pair of sneakers that seem tight because you're so used to the old stretched out ones, ya know?

With all that said, don't be surprised if this guy changes your stock seat and your still not happy with it.

Best of luck in your saddle quest.
Hey Kevin got any pics of that Corbin?
Sorry if you have posted them I have been away,,,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts