Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, finally rolled 3500 miles on my bike and it was time to change the oil. The 600 mile change was done by the dealer. I’ve read all the stories about how King Kong put this or that oil filter on so and so’s bike and so I wasn’t going to rush or do it at a time where I didn’t have time to spend on it. Good thing to because what I got was more than I bargained for.

First, I thought I had a wrench that fit, but didn’t. Put the new filter in the car and scooted over to Advance Auto and bought one. Got back, put it on the old one and pop, pop, pop. It just skipped over the flat spots on the filter. No problem, I pulled out my rubber mallet and tapped it up on the filter good and tight and I’ll hold good pressure against it when pulling down on the breaker bar. What happened, pop, pop, pop? It was backing itself off and skipping over it the flat spots on the filter again. No problem, I’ve got some left over shims from a 350 Chevy starter; I’ll just clip some ends off supper glue them inside the filter wrench so they don’t fall out before I can get on the filter. I did that and the filter wrench again fit like a glove and I tapped it on with the rubber mallet again and gave it a pull and what happened? Not only did it pop, pop, pop, but this time it started to collapse the filter on the flat spots just where I had put the three shims.

Ok! I’m starting to get a little concerned now because the options are starting to run thin and no way do I want to put a screw driver through the filter because the metal would just tear off and I would end up removing the entire thing a piece at a time. Bam! Sheet metal screws, that’s the ticket. So, I shim the filter wrench again and tap it on tight with the rubber mallet and then I drill 4 holes through the filter wrench and take a drill and zip the screws up good and tight and so the wrench is on D A M solid. I grab the 10 inch breaker bar again and insert it and start applying pressure. Ahhhh! I feel it start to give; finally it’s coming off and SNAP! The plate spot welded inside the filter wrench snaps the 4 spot welds. Now what the heck do I do? The filter hasn’t budged and I now have the filter wrench screwed to the filter and it’s it broke. Well? I thought what the heck? I’ll just drill three more holes through the filter wrench shell and through the metal plate that the breaker bar inserts in and keep going on into the filter. So now I’m at the last stand before I take this thing off piece by piece. I have the filter wrench screwed down so tight on the filter that the breaker bar won’t even fit in all the way and I have to hold steady pressure on it so it will stay in. Beads of sweat are rolling off my forehead; not because it’s hot, because no way I want to spend the next two hours shredding the oil filter off my bike. I start to apply more and more pressure; the bike starts to tilt on the jack; you can hear the tie down straps starting to stretch from the torque; I’m holding my mouth just right and I’m begging it saying, come on baby, just break loose and then at the peak of intensity! It gives and simply screws off; the crowd goes wild, and champagne flows and fireworks flash. Ok, so there’s none of that crap, but it is a true story and I have a picture the wrench to prove it.

Looking at the bikes owners manual and my 900 Shop manual there is a difference. The owners manual notes the oil filter has a gasket apply a thin film of oil when replacing. My shop manual states to apply a thin film of grease. Now, the oil filter doesn't have a gasket like a car does, it has an O-ring and so I applied a thin film of grease.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I never lost my temper working on it; I was just trying to figure ways to make it work for me.

I'm going to get another oil filter wrench for the next change and keep this one for next time as well. That way if I ever have a problem again, I can just zip 7 screws in it and get it off.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Filter Torque

You, I and many others have experienced this exercise in near futility in the past. Why the filters are torqued to tightly is a new one on me. I destroyed the factory filter getting it off at 600 miles with my "little wrench" and quickly disposed of it along with 17 pieces of the OEM filter two hours later when I finally got it off.
Fast forward 6 six months; now I grease the O ring of replacement filters, "barely hand tighten them and my most useful tip to you is buy a strap filter wrench!
:biggrin:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Sounds like to me some guys need to start using their gym membership :)

Kidding aside, I used adjustable pliers to get off the dealer install one time. Breaks the lock quickly.

Tony

·
Enjoying midlife Crisis!
452 Posts
The sad thing is that changing oil (or any self maintenance work) can be such a pleasant experience, therapeutic almost. Pour a cup of coffee, put the bike up on the stand, get some lighting set up and go to work.

Personally, doing maintenance on my bike is one of the joys of ownership. When some buffoon 'tech' that's rushing through his work in the service department spoils it, the purpose is defeated. The fact that people pay money for this type of work adds further insult to injury.

Not sure if you have a set of oil filter pliers, but they work great on really tough jobs. Worth owning for sure, they've saved my butt a couple of times with cars.

Oil Filter Pliers

Next time, at least you know it's done right.

·
The Bassman Rocketh
25,244 Posts
I had almost the same experience... fortunately, mine broke free without the use of sheet metal screws.

But I was sure wondering there for a bit...

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
At my second oil change (first one done by the Kaw mechanic), I'd bought the slip-on wrench just like you did. Tossed it to the mechanic at the bike shop (NOT the dlr) and had the same thing happen. It just slipped around the flats. Mech got out his strap wrench, and the filter just collapsed from the pressure. Out came the hammer and after tapping.....and tapping.....and tapping some more.....it still wouldn't budge! I grabbed a pair of channel locks and he stayed on the strap wrench and between the two of us it finally spun off. I don't know what the Kaw mech tightened that thing with, but it sure wasn't just snug, fa sure!

·
You hate me, & I hate you
615 Posts
LOL. that is funny. I had the same experience at 600 miles. I lined the inside of my filter wrench with duct tape and it just popped around the filter. After an hour of trying to build it up with more tape, paper, pieces of wood, and anything else I could think of I tried turning it to the right to see if for some reason it was threaded opposite I felt it budge then turned left and it came right off.

·
IBA#34418
6,332 Posts
I hope you didn't put it back on that tight. LOL I put mine on by hand and then just a tiny amount after that with the filter wrench. Maybe a 1/16 a turn. Never had any issues since the inital king kong exercise. Granted I got lucky. I used a paper towel as a shim and that worked for me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts