Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2007 900 LT and I want to add a CB and a hookup for heated gear. Can the 900 handle that electrical load? I can't find any specs for the amp draw on the CB (J & M), and I'm thinking that the heated gear will be more of a draw.

Also, anybody have any suggestions for a good type of electrical connection, something that isn't just dangling somewhere? Someday, all bikes will come with this, but until then...

·
Deeppurple52
2,072 Posts
Heated Clothing Outlet - Huge Discounts on Heated Clothing!

The Gerbings outlet has some great deals. As we get further into winter, they will add many items. Their dual controller is the best on the market. Everything interconnects so it is a great system. You can also check the "seconds" tab on the Warm & Safe site for some good deals. Gerbings has a wide variety of connectors available. I personally like the BMW style connectors but all are good.

Gloves 2.2 amps/27 watts, Jacket liner 6.4 amps/77 watts, pant liner 3.6 amps/44 watts.. I run the jacket liner and pants on one side of the controller and gloves on the other.

I would imagine that the 900 will easily handle this load. Be sure to get the jacket liner and NOT the heated vest.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hey Deep,

I just visited the site you recommended and the prices look very good. I noticed that several different styles of Gerbing's gloves are available. Do you have any specific recommendations? Is there any advantage to paying $125 for the G3 gloves, or will some of the others work just as well?

·
Deeppurple52
2,072 Posts
The g3'S are thinner... less bulky as I understand it. I ordered Classics, very nice.
My wife has the Gerbings jacket liner, I have a Warm and Safe. Both are excellent but I believe the Gerbings is just a pinch better. It is very thin and replaces the liner in your jacket. Gerbings pant liner is the best. All of these items are amazing for warmth! For cruiser bikes heated gloves are the best bucks you will spend. Gerbings old model glove liners are only $39 including a wiring harness, if you want to go that direction. LINKY.. Heated Clothing Outlet - Huge Discounts on Heated Clothing!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Thanks for the info. I went to the site, but everything I'm interested in (temp controllers, glove liners) are sold out. I think for the small price difference, I'll go with Gerbing's products, and buy them directly from the factory. I appreciate hearing about your experience with these products.

·
Deeppurple52
2,072 Posts
Prof.... You can't go wrong with Gerbings stuff. As we get into winter the outlet site will have more products. I cut a small piece of 1/4" plywood and cut 2 slots in it so I could loop an elastic strap thru it. I velcroed the controller to it. When we wear our gear we strap it to our leg and ride. I have also ridden with the controller in my pocket but it isn't convenient to adjust there. Options for mounting the controller are only limited by your imagination! Electric gear will extend your riding season in the Buckeye state.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A legal CB radio is limited to 4 watts output. The unit will also draw power and have waste heat involved, so the maximum draw is about tice the output power or ~10 watts (just under 1 amp at 12 V (W = V * amp)). The Vulcan 900 has ~10 amps for accessory use for a total of ~120 w. With a jacket liner (~77w @ full power) and gloves (~25w @ full power), you should be able to run a CB.

Make sure you start the MC before you hookup/turn on these accessories so that the battery has full power available. Also make sure to turn them off before you shut off the MC. It also would not be a bad idea to run the MC for several minutes (at a speed not idle) with the accessories turned off before you shut down. This will give the cycle battery a quick charge so that it will start when you need it.

Ed

·
MadMac
246 Posts
I bought my wife a complete Tour Master Synergy outfit (Jacket Liner, Gloves and Chaps) and she is just crazy about it. She tells all of here riding friends about it. Now she doesn't have to buy those heat packs that some folks use. She liked to fact that the controller could be mounted on her left thigh within easy reach. Tour Master was thoughtful enough to provide a elastic strap to handle that convenience.

·
Registered
574 Posts
The g3'S are thinner... less bulky as I understand it. I ordered Classics, very nice.
My wife has the Gerbings jacket liner, I have a Warm and Safe. Both are excellent but I believe the Gerbings is just a pinch better. It is very thin and replaces the liner in your jacket. Gerbings pant liner is the best. All of these items are amazing for warmth! For cruiser bikes heated gloves are the best bucks you will spend. Gerbings old model glove liners are only $39 including a wiring harness, if you want to go that direction. LINKY.. Heated Clothing Outlet - Huge Discounts on Heated Clothing!
Do those gloves look like this with the wires exposed?

I just bought some $79 ones from a local store and they look like this:

·
Registered
36 Posts

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.