Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Wannabe Poser
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well lucked out with another fine day in the North East. Mid forties. Fired up the baby and took a nice long ride. In the begining I babied the bike partially due to it being new and also me getting use to riding again. As confidence increase with each trip out my speeds have increased some and have felt comfortable on the curves and highway finally. I ride a mix of hills and flatlands, highway and city. When I first got the 900LT and was tracking the MPG I thought it was great that I averaged around 53-56 mpg. With more time on the bike I do tend to open her up more (still legal speeds though). To my amazement today when I finished my ride I stopped and fueled figured out my mpg and Holy Cr*p !!! It figured out to 59mpg.
Just had to share my excitment and awe of a wicked fine machine Maw Kawi made. No wonder the 900 Vulcans are selling so good. I fuel at the same place usually and I make sure I fill to the same level so I can get as accurate figure as possible.
How are our other 900's doing? Had to enjoy today. Bracing for another whopper of a storm Sunday nite into Monday nite. Heavy snow. Wonder if my boss would believe me if I called in sick. LOL Nah. It's more fun being out there in a big rig running the hills of Vt.

·
Vulcan 800 Classic
292 Posts
Them are some good numbers.... my stepdads 900 gets 54mpg but its still new so im sure it'll go up yet. My 800 i got 60 once for a trip all highway, but usually i get mid 40's is all, but i get on it pretty good every now and then. I think i lost mpg with the pipes i put on.

·
Wannabe Poser
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think this last time I fueled and checked it I was just lucky. All the other times I've avg. 53-56. Except for Highway bars and air horn everything is stock. I don't ride two up (sigh maybe wife will change mind someday). I'm 6' and 220 lbs. Maybe it's cuz I drive a 10 speed truck around 400 miles all day. Shifting is second nature to me. Be interesting to see what she gets next time. Heck Maybe she like the colder air up in the north. Probably wont be on it for awhile. Major snow storm moving in again.

·
but still a NooBie
1,104 Posts
I've never had number that high! :D
On the interstates, doing about 75-80 mph (as indicated), I get 42-44 mpg.
On the two lanes, doing about 55-60 mph, I get 52-53 mpg.

That has been very consistant for me. And, I have checked it over many, many gastank-fuls for accuracy. One tank might show to be 56 while the next shows 50. Big difference, one tank to the next. But, I get above 50 mpg consistantly.

·
Live Long & Prosper
556 Posts
My wife's 900LT has ~800 miles on it and she is getting lower 50s for MPG. I don't know how much that will change as the bike gets a few more miles on it. I think that anytime you are running in the 50+ MPG range, you are doing great. I don't get that on my Nomad!

·
Wannabe Poser
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Like I said though all the other times have been low of 53 to high of 56. This was the first time 59. I think it was more of a fluke than anything else. Prior I have been as happy as pigs in shi# with the lower 50's results. I would love to say it's my great driving and handling abilities but ain't no way that's a fact. LMAO. I once got 32mpg in my 2000 Bonneville on a trip. Rarely see that happen anymore either. Probably just a fluke it happened.
Still the mpg we're all getting on our bike ain't nothin to sneeze at.

·
Registered
533 Posts
my 900LT..... is not such a light drinker.... I get about 49 and my wife gets 52 on hers.... guess we have more hills

·
Proud Hokie!!
564 Posts
Since there seems to be issues with the stock speedometer/odometer (often 'fixed' with a scootsworks front pulley), it would be interesting to conpare mileage of those with a pulley vs those without. The most accurate miles traveled may well be determined with a GPS - but that would be a pain to track - forget to power-up the GPS once and blow the comparison.

Just a thought....

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
With the pulley I've been getting 40-45 after I put the chaps on my Engine Gaurds. Before the chaps and pulley I was getting 49-55 mpg. I put the chaps on and it dropped to 43 -47. Pulley on it dropped a bit more, plus I'm warming the engine a bit while riding. I also don't spend much time on the 55mph roads or less. Rather the majority of my time is spent 70-80 mph with some brief periods over that. Gotta follow the flow or get run over by it you know. If I mind my maners, NEVER break the speed limit, I get in the upper 40's after the pulley, I've done that several times. In the spring, when I take the chaps off (lows that don't go under 35) I expect an increase just like the decrease I had.

I have an LT also. I know that big, almost flat, piece of glass out in front decreases performance as well. But those engine gaurd chaps are basically 18 or so inches wide and 2 feet tall. That's almost 9 sqaure feet of flat frontal area. That is gonna suck up some horsepower at 80 mph I tell ya.

I'm gonna run it without the windshield a little this summer and see what the difference between is.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Since there seems to be issues with the stock speedometer/odometer (often 'fixed' with a scootsworks front pulley), it would be interesting to conpare mileage of those with a pulley vs those without. The most accurate miles traveled may well be determined with a GPS - but that would be a pain to track - forget to power-up the GPS once and blow the comparison.

Just a thought....
Not necessary once you have the established the % off the speedo to actual it just a numbers game.

I don't know any thing about GPS but unless they adjust for hills, changes in elevation, over level travel you'll still be off depending on terrain.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I have an LT also. I know that big, almost flat, piece of glass out in front decreases performance as well. But those engine gaurd chaps are basically 18 or so inches wide and 2 feet tall. That's almost 9 sqaure feet of flat frontal area. That is gonna suck up some horsepower at 80 mph I tell ya.

I'm gonna run it without the windshield a little this summer and see what the difference between is.
You nailed it, MrClean...
Consider this equation.

F * S = Energy (F is force, S is distance, Energy is Fuel)

If we assume that all other conditions are constant (of course not, but helps comparison), the amount of fuel consumption for the same distance will go up as the wind resistance increases. There are many things that force the bike back, all the friction like chain, tire, bearing, and wind. But the wind must be the major one. So, the highway run at 80 mph is better than many stop-and-go type riding, but the same highway run at 55 mph will give better mpg than 80 mph run. Add the engine guard chaps that is not aero dynamic will make it worse.
My 800A makes around 50 mpg with the cobra engine guard chaps. The chaps keep my legs warm and take all the dirt and salt during winter time, so I do not mind sacrificing the mpg little bit. I envy 900 owners for the efficient FI....

·
Patriot Guard Rider
1,694 Posts
With the Scootworks pulley I'm dragin down 49-53mpg depending on how I ride & the weather. 49 if I hit the interstate, 50-53 if I travel my normal route.

:D
Aif

·
Riding daily
4,688 Posts
These are pretty good numbers. I haven't checked mine for a while but i think i'm just a little under that.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
At the time I got my bike in Aug of '06, my mpg was between 44 to 48. As soon as I reached the 3K mile mark on the odo, I started tearing the interstates and I was consistently around 44 mpg. My bike was recently serviced and had the 15K maintenance done (valve adjustment and spark plugs replaced of all things) and from my last tank I calculated 51 mpg. This is the highest so far for my 900LT.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
How you 900 guys are getting close to 60 mpg on a cruiser in the winter I'd love to know. I can hardly do that on a good day with a fairing.

You'll probably notice worse mileage without the windshield. A windshield is going to deflect wind better than the parachute your body becomes at speed. I noticed quite an improvement on my vulcan after I had installed a generic windshield, both at the pumps and the way my back and shoulders felt after a long ride.

·
Recycled Rider
583 Posts
I consistently get 54-56 mpg on my 900.
However, with the pulley I would expect the mpg (reading) to go down as the pulley change would alter the odometer reading. ?

·
Registered
624 Posts
Very interesting. With just over 3k on my LT, I have never had a tank calculate at over 50mpg.Some tanks when the bike was new were closer to 40mpg. I gotta find out what you guys are doing!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts