Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriend is 5' tall. Here's the list of what I did to make the bike fit her really well:
1. 4" pullback risers
2. Scootworks kit lowered 2"
3. Cut front springs 1.5"
4. Shortened sidestand (bike was too upright after the initial 3" lowering)
5. Moved floorboards up 2" and back 2"
6. Modded heel/toe shifter to work with relocated boards
7. Cut clutch lever and welded deeper-bend Harley lever to it (1" closer to bars now)
8. Chromed sidestand and levers to mask welding
9. Moved rear brake lever one notch higher on splined-shaft
10. Aimed headlight to adjust for lower ride height
11. Smaller MemphisShades sportshield is perfect height for her

Now she can safely and comfortably manage a bike with decent displacement. With her at only about 100 lbs, her bike is pretty peppy. We're about to start a 4 month cruise together. (actully, as of two days ago.....the cruise has turned into our honeymoon!!!!!)

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
and the pics are... where?
I knew someone would ask for pics! Right now the tank/fender are off at the painter getting some ghost flames. When the bike is back together next week I'll post pics.

·
Premium Member
15,066 Posts

·
Deeppurple52
2,072 Posts
Congrats. Having a bike that fits is so important. I lowered my wife's R1100RT 2" and it has served her well. Good list BTW. I for one do not feel the need to supply photos of your personal life. It's just a motorcycle!

·
2007 Red 900 Custom
525 Posts
I really need to get around to lowering my bike. I'm 5'8" with a 29" inseam and it can be irritating to back up if there is a slight dip where I am parked.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I knew someone would ask for pics! Right now the tank/fender are off at the painter getting some ghost flames. When the bike is back together next week I'll post pics.
We want pic's of your girl friend! DUH

·
VN 900 Classtom
1,689 Posts
Great but did she ever considered a Honda Shadow?? great bike for smaller riders :)

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great but did she ever considered a Honda Shadow?? great bike for smaller riders :)
She came from a Vstar 650 and the Shadow wasn't a big enough jump in my opinion. It's 100 lbs less than a 900 and missing 150cc. (it's half way between the 650 and the 900) We were also intrigued by the similarity between the looks of the 900 and my V2K. They look like they are 'family". It's really amazing to see how many ways they are visually alike. I dislike shaft drive and that also entered the mix. A big downside is the lack of EFI on the Honda. With my mods, her bike is now a much better fit than a stock Shadow would be. (her 900 is now "smaller" than her 650 was, but has the added stability from the weight and more guts from the increased displacement)
The Aero doesn't have floorboards and it has a DRUM rear brake that screams "cheap" to me.

·
Trusted SW Pulley Adviser
545 Posts
Congratulations! Be safe.

With so many stock 900 riders knocking off the bottom grease nib, I'd be concerned with lowering the bike. You may want to check the threads about replacing the fitting.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Congratulations! Be safe.

With so many stock 900 riders knocking off the bottom grease nib, I'd be concerned with lowering the bike. You may want to check the threads about replacing the fitting.
3" was too much, so we went back to a 2" drop. It does make a difference that she only weighs 100#, so the suspension doesn't compress as much as with a 200# guy. Also, with both of us having bikes, she never has a passenger. If we ride double, it's always on the V2K. Floorboard scrapping on the lowered bike was eliminated when I raised and moved the boards 2" up and back.

·
Trusted SW Pulley Adviser
545 Posts
Gotcha... but the lowest grease fitting is too low on a stock 900 even with single smaller riders. I weigh 150 and mine got knocked off. You may want to check on it. 2" lower may cause a problem.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Did she marry you because she appreciates shorter things? Just asking. :)

·
You hate me, & I hate you
615 Posts
Congrats. Having a bike that fits is so important. I lowered my wife's R1100RT 2" and it has served her well. Good list BTW. I for one do not feel the need to supply photos of your personal life. It's just a motorcycle!
So why are you in a MOTORCYCLE forum?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts