Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
08 Vulcan 900
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, on my way home last night the 08 900C stumbled and died in 2nd gear. It almost seemed like it wasn't getting enough gas, I tried to give it more gas, but it just died. I had just left a stop sign, and wasn't accelerating hard or anything. I am thinking bad gas?!?! Maybe run some seafoam through it? Check the spark plugs??

Ideas???

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
Open the gas cap and try again, if it runs normally, I'd say the tank vent may be clogged.

If the problem is still, there look at fuel delivery(dirty fuel filter) or air delivery(air filter dirty).

Good spark? Gas tank clean?Sparkplugs properly gapped?

·
08 Vulcan 900
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It started right back up after that, and I rode home with no problem. It only has 2300 miles on her, so I can't imagine the spark plugs would be bad, or the the fuel filter, but you never know. I will take a closer look tonight

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
Are you running any of the gas/alcohol mix where you live? Here in Missouri we have E85. My understanding is the mix will seperate after a while and alcohol tends to absorb moisture from the air creating a water level at the bottom of the tank.

·
08 Vulcan 900
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, I don't run the E85, and I have read many threads about not putting and ethanol in your bike, when I bought the dealership told me not to run any, and if the gas station supplements their regular blends with it, it has to be posted,

The bike had sat for about two months with stable in it and a full tank. I recently filled it up, but that was over 100 miles ago...

It was strange cause now that I think of it, when I first started it up, it kinda stumbled a little bit, and i thought nothing of it. Then down the street it started to stumble and then it died all together. I pulled the clutch in (and pushed the starter of course) then it started right back up and didnt have any more problems.

·
08 Vulcan 900
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I rode it last night and had no problems. The idle seems to be ok, I had to tune it after i put new grips on, but that was a long time ago. Maybe I will just do a tune up!

·
IBA#34418
6,332 Posts
I would say stabil was the problem. But you'll get a lot that love that stuff too. I have close to 37K on my 900 and never had that happen. May have been just a fluke from sitting.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Pat keep it going you may be one of the few who even have that kind of mileage on a 900 so far...We are all waiting to see who the 1st 100k 900 will be...
T.O.

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,189 Posts
Wow! That's wierd! I was riding home from Bike Week last night and my bike 'sagged' with no power (like running out of gas-petcock off) and then I let off and eased into the throttle and no more problems.

I have 26K on her and no prior problems. I did not let it 'warm up' as it was 75 degrees outside. I had ridden approx 1/3 mile and it happened on pretty hard acceleration in second gear. I had aprrox 150 miles on this current tank of gas and have been using the same gas station and gas for most of this year. I didn't think too much of it, other than it was wierd . . . that is until I saw this thread!

Like I said, wierd!

·
-=V=-
245 Posts
3 times for me...From what I can remember I think I may have flooded it . Too high gear /low RPM and a fairly aggressive right hand . I just rolled of and back on and off she went .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts