Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
900 LT
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok 55deg tonight so i took the 900 out to the store about 3 miles away, after letting the bike warm up as usuall for 3 mins i head out and the bike ran great, on the way back i kinda hear a ticking noise.

when i pull in the driveway i let it idle and take my helmet off and yes its ticking, kinda sounds like a small bock chevy with a bad lifter (best describes the noise)

no temp or oil light on, yes it does have oil in it, yes it had its 600 mile service it now had 1050 miles on it.

any ideas?

·
900 LT
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
UPDATE:

after making this post and eating something i go start the bike and its quiet again. for for about 4 mile ride and its quite as the day i got her.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Only one 900 noise:lol: You must have one of the better ones. Mine makes more kinds of noises than I can describe. They are noisy bikes, but man they run like the wind. Get some pipes, and you won't hear noises anymore.:biggrin:

D

·
Registered
139 Posts
My V2k makes a ticking noise, it is the fuel injectors and it really messed with me for a while, take a listen at the air cleaner and throttle body.

Good luck, Chris

·
Deeppurple52
2,072 Posts
It's a Kawasaki..... they make these little noises. Oh, so do Hondas, Suzukis and Stars. Harleys all have pipes to drown out the engine clatter. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

·
Scootter_man
157 Posts
My 750 Zephyr has been noisey the day I bought her. When cold the gear box rattles like the ****ins. And quiets down after a few minutes of riding. And of course it has the prone pain in the butt with the choke idle, it either races or just almost dies..It's a game to me, but I love her.

·
Registered
789 Posts
My 900 Classic makes noises. Since it's my first scoot they all sound foreign. I have an extended warranty so I'll just keep an eye on the fluids and ride.;)

·
Ridin in Sunny Arizona
21 Posts
Anyone get this noise fixed? I called Kawasaki they are not aware of them making a ticking noise. Mine started doing it a while back, and dealer takes the easy way off and says its normal. It's not right. I've owned several bikes never had noise like this.

·
VN 900 Classtom
1,689 Posts
Are you running 20-50? if yes then that could be your problem. I had gone from 10-40 to 20-50 and that thicking noise got really loud so after 500 miles I went back to 10-40 and it went back to normal.

·
Registered
69 Posts
If the ticking is coming from the right side of the engine, its probably Kawasaki's version of a EGR valve. It is above the air cleaner, under the tank. Mine has it, too. I just ignored it when I found out what it was.

·
Estancia Meritage
1,523 Posts
Mine has made noise since day 1. It has over 17000 miles on it. A 2006 classic. Metrics are always clangy.

Lucky...

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
My engine started ticking this year as well. Its not the valve under the tank ( allthough, that clicks as well ) It sounds like a lifter and seems to be somewhere near the rear cylinder and just behind the Air cleaner. AT first I thought it was a possible exhaust leak but thats not it. I get the same B.S. from our old dealer ( they say its normal ) but it wasn't there for the first 3 seasons that I had the bike. The dealer that I bought the bike from have just lost the kawasaki endorsement and its been handed over to another shop in town so I'll try with them this winter or next spring. It doesn't seem to bother the performance of the bike but it is bothersome.

·
Ridin in Sunny Arizona
21 Posts
Ticking reply

Ya, mine didn't do it at first either. It's not the breather valve, or anything else like that, it's a valve ticking noise. I isolated to the top of the head, right under the valve cover. It just seems very odd to me that this is a normal thing. I know bikes make noises, but this is bothersome. I did switch to 20-50 at last oil change because of the hot weather here. Maybe a switch back will do the trick. I have read all over the internet people complaining about the same thing. Just thought someone out there might have actually found out by now a fix for it, since Kawasaki and it's dealers don't want to do anything about it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Ticking Noises

My 08 started ticking before the first service and I complained to the dealer that it sounded like the valves were the problem,first they said it is normal and I told them that I will not except that and I wanted it looked at and fixed.I went to the back with them and watched them do the first service and adjust the valves,the mechanic said this is a common problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mine ticked from day one. Not all the time but most of the time. Sounds just like the injector on my old chevy truck.

·
Ridin in Sunny Arizona
21 Posts
I seem to here that it's just the Kawasaki way. Thanks for all the feedback. Seems like a bummer deal, Everyone I ride with notices, and thinks I need the valves adjusted. Dealer says it's normal, so I guess I just have to live with it, or trade up for a Honda, Yamaha. It goes back to you get what you pay for. :confused:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts