Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

900 Trailer pulling question?

10K views 34 replies 18 participants last post by  RussVulcan 
#1 ·
Has anyone out there pulled a trailer with a 900, I know that kawa does not recommend it, but mine is out of warrantty anyway, and I think it could handle it with no problems.

Ride Safe & Long!!!
Catfish

#3 ·
No bike manufacturers say pulling a trailer is good. Been thinking about it for camping trips.
I pull a trailer for camping trips with my V2K...I don't know how a 900 will do but I find the V2K does ok pulling a trailer, when riding solo I really don't know it's back there most of the time. Two up and a loaded trailer pulls fine, in fact better than riding two up and a load of camping gear strapped to the rear of the bike, but it is noticeable when you roll the power on. The bike still pulls hard but it accelerates more like a HD than a V2K. I've run over 90 mph (trying to keep from being run over by 18 wheelers :-D ) on the straights and through slab type sweepers with a loaded trailer and not had a bobble.

The trailer really makes bike camping nice. Mine has a ice chest and room for everything needed to be comfortable even for winter camping. I can carry a big stand up tent, double air mattress, two burner stove, heater for the tent, food, beer, wine, even fire wood if needed.

I've posted this photo before but....I was winter camping but solo so I had the small tent on this trip.
[/IMG]

#35 ·
I pull a trailer for camping trips with my V2K...I don't know how a 900 will do but I find the V2K does ok pulling a trailer, when riding solo I really don't know it's back there most of the time. Two up and a loaded trailer pulls fine, in fact better than riding two up and a load of camping gear strapped to the rear of the bike, but it is noticeable when you roll the power on. The bike still pulls hard but it accelerates more like a HD than a V2K. I've run over 90 mph (trying to keep from being run over by 18 wheelers :-D ) on the straights and through slab type sweepers with a loaded trailer and not had a bobble.

The trailer really makes bike camping nice. Mine has a ice chest and room for everything needed to be comfortable even for winter camping. I can carry a big stand up tent, double air mattress, two burner stove, heater for the tent, food, beer, wine, even fire wood if needed.

I've posted this photo before but....I was winter camping but solo so I had the small tent on this trip.
[/IMG]
Can I see a picture of your Bike and Trailer. I'm interested in your rig setup, as we like to camp but the ground tent camping is getting rough as the years pass.

#5 ·
I would be worried about braking while pulling a trailer with my 900. The 900 has only one front disc. When I had my Gold Wing, I bought a motorcycle sized tent camper trailer to tow. After I got it, but before I towed it, I read an article that had me second guessing my purchase. The author pointed out that when you brake hard (as in an emergency situation) that the weight of the trailer begins pushing forward on the bike. As soon as the rear tire of the bike gets even slightly out of line with the front (as might happen while braking in a curve, or when the rear tire begins to lose friction with the road because the bike's weight is transfering forward) the trailer weight will begin pushing the rear end of the bike even further out of line, probably ending up in the rider losing control. After reading that, I decided that I should have gotten electric brakes on the heavy trailer (325 lbs. empty) and never towed it with the bike. (I tow it w/ my Honda Civic all the time and love it!) However, the reason I did not get electric brakes with the trailer is that I'd spoken with a number of riders who gave me good reasons (it seemed) why they would never have brakes on the trailer. I decided that the only way I would tow that electric brakeless trailer was with a trike.

If you're thinking about pulling a really light trailer, then you probably won't have too much trouble. Just watch out because with a trailer, there's always the motivation to add "just a little bit more"! I talked once with a guy who had whipped up a custom hitch for his 650 Suzuki and rode 2-up with a trailer all the way from Florida to Alaska and back. I think your 900 should work better that that!

Also, be aware that depending on the number of electrical accessories that you may have added to your bike, the lights on the trailer may push the limit of the capabilities of your 900's alternator. If you haven't added many electrical accessories, and your trailer isn't overloaded with lights, then you should be OK on that count.

Remember though, as was mentioned before, NO motorcycle manufacturer sanctions towing a trailer with their bikes.

#9 ·
They don't have one for a 900 there, but maybe they're just waiting for the first guy.

There's enough power in a 900 to pull a trailer. Heck I remember reading of folks with 600's pulling them. Sure, you can pull smallish shrubs with a 1500 and full out stumps with the 2000 but there's enough for a light trailer on a 900. You do have to think about stopping and loading appropriately.

#10 ·
They don't have one for a 900 there, but maybe they're just waiting for the first guy.

There's enough power in a 900 to pull a trailer. Heck I remember reading of folks with 600's pulling them. Sure, you can pull smallish shrubs with a 1500 and full out stumps with the 2000 but there's enough for a light trailer on a 900. You do have to think about stopping and loading appropriately.
And maybe go to the darkside to assist in starting and stopping... right, MrClean?

-Dwain

#13 ·
Been thinking about doing the same thing with my 900. Keep us posted on what you come up with. I'm pretty good with a torch and welder but I don't know if I would want to tackle fabricating a hitch for the bike. I built my own minisprint a few years ago, but I KNEW it would be dangerous. My wife has funny ideas about when I mess with the bike that she is riding on too. Still have not told her about going to the Darkside. LOL And the minisprint is why we have a bike now. Broke my back at the track doin an ugly cartwheel. But, it didn't have anything to do with my welding.

#18 ·
You might want to PM Big John about towing. I rode with him from Seattle to RL last summer and he has a tent trailer (don't recall the weight) that he pulled with his 1500 Nomad. It was about all it could do to maintain 60-65 mph. Plus his gas mileage when to crap. He was lucky to get 90-100 miles per tank. He bought himself a V2k last fall as a result of that experience.

#19 ·
Pulling Trailer W/900 Vulcan

Catfish: Me and the wife pulled a Dart trailer (made in Elkart, IN) from Indiana down to FL, and back through the Smoky's with no trouble at all. Had no problem stopping or taking off either one.

I would have to look up where I got the hitch at. Ordered it off the net. Was around $300 or so. Was chrome and built well.

#20 ·
Pulling the trailer is not the problem, stopping and also enough vehicle weight to control the trailer is. I'm not an expert but I doubt that the 900 is heavy enough to control a trailer. Imagine what would happen traveling I94 across ND and a cross wind come out of nowhere? Or grabbing all the brakes you got when the deer darts across your path.

Enough power? Heck, I can pull my ice fish house with my lawn mower. I can pull around 2 snowmobiles with my 4 wheeler, but try stopping it on a down hill. Good luck. On a snowmobile forum I chastised a guy for pulling a 4 place snowmobile trailer fully loaded with a Dodge Dakota, he was putting every else at risk because there is no way that small truck was gonna stop 3,000 to 4,000 lbs in a hurry. That's the main reason a 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck can tow so much more. Most times, it has the same engine but take a look at the brakes.

Just something to keep in mind. Personally, I don't think that a Vulcan 900 has the brakes or weight behind it to pull a trailer, but what do I know, I continue to live in a state where we got about a foot of snow on April 1st and maybe another this weekend. How smart am I?

tomslusher

#21 ·
That's the main reason a 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck can tow so much more. Most times, it has the same engine but take a look at the brakes.

Just something to keep in mind. Personally, I don't think that a Vulcan 900 has the brakes or weight behind it to pull a trailer, but what do I know, I continue to live in a state where we got about a foot of snow on April 1st and maybe another this weekend. How smart am I?

tomslusher
A 3/4 ton or 1 ton can pull so much more for 2 reasons. 1 the suspension is a lot stronger than a 1/2 ton. 2 the drive train is stronger as well. Most time they have a larger engine as well. You can get them with the same engine as the half ton, but it won't maintain highway speeds. (Another reason many get the larger truck.) Next time you have a 3/4 Chevy and 1/2 Chevy side by side look at the brakes they are the same. (Providing wheel size is the same)

That said I do agree on the 900 I'd be a little worried about braking on the 900 2up with a trailer. I would be on any bike without dual front disks. You will learn how much longer it will take to stop it.

Weight shouldn't be an issue the classic 600+ curb I think the LT is around 650 add rider and your easily at 800. I don't think you'll have a problem with the wind.

My biggest concern would be power. I'm WOT @ 80 MPH with a 10-15 mph head wind 2 up. Riding solo with a trailer I wouldn't think twice about but 2 up with a trailer I'd think I'd only do it once and probably end up leaving the trailer on the side of the road. I like to be able to maintain at least the speed limit, I don't think the 900 will do it.

#23 ·
Catfish: Me and the wife pulled a Dart trailer (made in Elkart, IN) from Indiana down to FL, and back through the Smoky's with no trouble at all. Had no problem stopping or taking off either one.

I would have to look up where I got the hitch at. Ordered it off the net. Was around $300 or so. Was chrome and built well.
Dakota, what kind of bike do you have? is it a 900? If so can you add pics of your bike and hitch so we can see if we could fabricate one ourselves?

#24 ·
I think the key to successful trailer pulling...and stopping is trailer weight. My first trailer was a modified steel framed snow mobile trailer with a Tuff Bin bolted to it. It was as streamlined as a barn door and too heavy for my 86 Gold Wing. Crossing the high deserts was tough and I couldn't put it in OD for hours on end. Stopping was no more difficult than stopping our motor home. So you've got to look and think way ahead, and downshift. My next two trailers have aluminum frames and are much more streamlined. Using common sense about what you carry is important. I have carried about 100 pounds of groceries and even rocks (we are rock collectors) without any trouble, but I wouldn't want to do this often. With a small and light enough trailer I think the 900 will work. There are very small one-wheel trailers out there that might be worth looking at.

#25 ·
Yes please post some pictures. I just pm'd him prior to reading your message Turtle. Much like the Cartire, I'm hearing a lot of, 'you better not's but I gotta say I agree with some of them. If we think we're gonna put a houseboat on behind the 900 and have no problem stopping or controlling the darn thing, we're in for a rude awaking. However if you thought maybe with a smaller bike you'd use a smaller trailer, probably something similar to a highway capable Radio Flyer, then the 900 wouldn't have ANY problem hauling the thing. Application driven guys, just like my Car Tire.

You could always get a sticker cut for your trailer that says "Load Weight not to Exceed 75 pounds" Remember though, you put one of them big coolers on behind the 900 full of food and drinks, you probably have your full load on. But lets remember, 600-750's used to be big bikes and they hauled appropriate size trailers behind them. I'm just looking for something that will hold the stuff I normally put on behind me for a camping trip, and I can carry all that stuff on my back, usually do when it comes off the bike and heads up the foot path.

Hoping to see some of those pictures.

#26 ·
There are very small one-wheel trailers out there that might be worth looking at.
I was wondering where we could get a wheel assembly like what was on that posted Craig's list folding trailer. One of those under an aluminum frame with one of the narrow streamlined car toppers would be just about right. That beautiful trailer behind the Nomad posted earlier would be just way too much, but it sure looks good behind the Nomad OR the 2000.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.