Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which bike has more power......a carbed 96 1500 or a 07 FI 900?

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
the 1500 is probably close to mine which is about 55 HP and 60 ft/lb of torque. I suspect the new 900 is pretty close to that, if not better.

Check the internet. you should find graphs and/or specs on both.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The reason I ask is that my gf just bought a 900 and I want her to have at least the same power that I do

·
Deeppurple52
2,072 Posts
Power

Your carbed 1500 has much more power than the 900. They are apples and oranges. The 900 has a small displacement while your 1500 has a large displacement. They feel nothing alike when aboard them. Your 1500 thumps like a big engine while the 900 revs like a small engine. With a normal sized rider it is just a matter of preference. Some like the big bike feel of the 1500 while others prefer the the small motor feel of the 900. They are VERY different riding experiences. Although I have a 1600, I enjoy riding my wife's 800 on occasion. I am amazed how quickly it revs. She is amazed at the stump-pulling power of mine. Here's a secret for you.... her 800 will wax my 1600 off the line to probably 40-50 mph. On a road trip, fully loaded with gear, her 800 will maintain pace with my big bike under nearly every circumstance at beyond legal speeds up to 12,000+ feet altitude. It may take her just slightly longer to accelerate but not enough to worry about.

The biggest issue is that many riders actually believe that ALL BIKES have that slow revving thumping of the large displacement bike. Not so. I read here several times a week about someone's 900 (or 800) being buzzy at speed. Yes, it's true, but absolutely normal. It requires more rpm to do the job. Ridden with this in mine, it is nearly the equal of most cruisers out there.

If you want the feel of big power the 1500 is the way to go. If that isn't important to you then the 900 will trip your trigger. We have ridden all of the 900 models and find them to be nearly the perfect size, weight and power for us. Somewhere down the road we will have matching 900's and I will adapt to the different feel.

·
Power Hungry V2K Rider
6,395 Posts
Well stated there. While the 1500/1600s are fine machines, the 800/900s will do a mighty fine job of handling the highways as well. We keep forgetting that until the mid 70s, 750s were "Big Machines." Many a rider did thousands of miles across this country on sub liter machines for years.

The only reason my best friend got a Goldwing in '76 was because I had gotten a Z1 when he was still riding a CB750. Over a span of two years we went from running around central Texas on a CL350/KZ400 to chasing each other on 900/1000 cc machines.

It's all a case of size envy. Mines bigger 'en yours....reality is that both of 'em will do an excellent job of playing whoop arse on our skill sets.

·
Deeppurple52
2,072 Posts
rfb---- Your gf will love her 900 and will have no problem keeping up with you. Great choice!

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all of your input........I will be riding it tomorrow

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
What was the weight difference of the bikes I wonder. Oh it don't matter. You probably can run away from my 900 but not to far to fast legally. My Windstar has a higher top end and pretty good acceleration but it doesn't lean in the corner worth a darn.

·
Poser Proud®
3,778 Posts
Which bike has more power......a carbed 96 1500 or a 07 FI 900?
The MC club I ride with has everything from V2K's to HD's of every size to Goldwings. I have a 900 classic and riding 2 up I've never had any trouble running along with them. I don't know how fast the 900 will go, but I've had it up to 75 mph 2 up and there was still lots of throttle left.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I've never had mine over 120 indicated and it was an accident when I did, just like the time I had it to 117. On flat and level, no wind 900LT I had the throttle all open in 5th at 110 indicated. I have a portion of my trip to work after a 5 mile stretch of a pretty good grade up that has a 3-5 percent grade down for a mile or so. If I don't pay attention and have the Vista Cruz locked and adjusted for the up grade, I hit the 117-120 zone at the end of the down grade section. Unless of course there is a headwind, then all bets are off of what I can get too. It was suggested in a different thread to leave it in 4th gear to drop the rpm a bit into the power curve. I haven't done it, I didn't mean to break the law the times I did. But the darn bike is just smooth and you don't notice it if the road is clear and you're listening to music or a talk show. Probably could go a bit faster without the windshield in front and going the other way on the downhill slope, well, they always have radar at the bottom of it. Best to stay in the right hand lane and let the kids get the tickets.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had a 900 with pipes, hyper-charger, and fuel managment. I have a hard time believing that a 1500 would be any quicker on the acceleration. Top end might be a bit quicker and higher top speed, but my 900 was quick. you definately have to consider the weight difference.

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
Its not about the power, its about how each uses what it has.

I'll be willing to bet the 900 will outrun a 1500 top end, really. I have no doubt. the 1500 makes its power low down, pulls like a freight trane. my 1500 is big jetted and caddman airkit and it will pull stumps out of jeds field.

now the 900 being smaller revs higher, this means it'll run top end better, i got my clock cleaned in montana 2005 by two 800's on the interstate...and it'll do it with better gas mileage too. especially with the 1500 only a 4 speed.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm sure she will kill me on gas mileage. I get about 35......I'm sure she will get 45 or more.

·
Black, Chrome, & Leather
108 Posts
just did a search...07 900 Classic 47 HP and 53 ft/lb torque. my 01 1500 classic was 54 and 60.
Another consideration is at what RPM are we talking about for these values? I'll bet the 1500 develops peaks at lower RPMs.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Finally rode the 900. Very nice bike, but definitely two different animals. 900 revs quickly with the 5 speed and FI. Feels more nimble and lighter, but still very stable and capable of getting where you want to go fast. Very refined. Seems a little strange listening to the trans whine instead of exhaust.
On the other hand, my carbed 1500 is like an unruley beast. Gobs of torque. Not to particular as to what gear you're in, even with the 4 speed. Feels heavier. No manners. Very noisey with the Cobra Dragsters.
I feel that my girlfriend will make the transition from MSF very easily to the 900.
I like her new bike. I like mine too. Both for different reasons.

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
I'm sure she will kill me on gas mileage. I get about 35......I'm sure she will get 45 or more.
I'm getting the same gas mileage on my 2002 1500 FI that I got on my 2001 carbed 800--about 45mpg. FI really makes a difference.

·
Love to Ride!
949 Posts
Gas mileage on my 900 LT with my 240 lbs on it gets anywhere from 48 - 52 mpg. This is in mixed riding both city and highway. I'm sure a lighter person would fair better than I do mpg wise.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts