Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Official Bug Taster
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of putting on a tinted lens cover on my brake lite, and I was wondering if anybody has any advise. One of my main questions is: is the running light still vissable during the day.

The lens cover I am looking at is the tented model - MeanCycles - KAWASAKI - VN1600 MEAN STREAK - TAILLIGHTS & COVERS - SMOKE TAILLIGHT COVER FOR MEANSTREAK 02-UP AND VN900

with this style bulb - MeanCycles - KAWASAKI - VN1600 MEAN STREAK - SAFETY LIGHT MODULATORS & BULBS - LED DUAL CONTACT BULB RED 1157 STYLE

And I don't believe I need to put a load equalizer on it, Or do I? I am installing a 4 way equalizer and diod set up for my turn signals and isntalling a l.e.d. flex strip for rear turn signals (from radiantz) and l.e.d. bulbs in the front. Also moving the license plate with lites to a side mount set up. So thats why I am wondering about the lens cover, that should finish cleaning up the rear end.

Anyway, any advice or suggestions is appreciated and welcomed.

·
VN 900 Classtom
1,689 Posts
Howdy,
Not that long ago some one posted a coment here about the rear brake light not been visible on bright day light after installing a tinted cover on a vn900. I'm inclined to think is true. I have a clear cover and my led's are very bright.

·
AlohaMark
206 Posts
The link for the lens cover only shows a clear lens. The smoked lens is not pictured so it will be difficult to tell how visible the led bulb would be. The parts don't seem too expensive so why not just try it? You could always try to find a brighter bulb or buy a clear lens. My bike is red so the red lens cover blends in well.

I believe your rear flex strip turn signals may be illegal. Have you checked with an inspection station? I think they have to be a certain distance apart.

You could install silver bullets on the strut cover like this:

The silver bullets aren't DOT approved but very bright (20 watt halogen bulb) and look nice.

·
Registered
20,606 Posts
the smoke tinted cover should be ok with the LED bulb you have there.

I've got that LED bulb in my taillight, but i have the clear lens.
it's nice and bright when braking, but I dunno how the tinted lens will affect that.

Best bet is to buy it and find out.

If you're worried about visibility, don't get the tinted lens as it's obviously gonna block alot of light.

:)

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
I had the smoked lens on my old Mean Streak, and when my wife was riding behind me she commented she could barely see it. It looked better than the stock clear lens cover, but it just didn't seem safe enough.

Just my .02

·
Workin' to ride
559 Posts
Have never understood why folks are willing to sacrifice brake light visibilty for "looks", even on cages.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I put the clear cover on my tailight with the red bulb. it really is not very visible and did concern me. I added some HyperLights to both sides of my license plate. They are bright LEDs that operate as running lights and will flash for 5 seconds when I apply my brakes then go steady. They are in a black housing so when they aren't lit (when the bike is off) you don't really see them. The video on their website shows them as nearly blindingly bright. They aren't quite that bright but are plenty visible.

Check them out if you want.
Hyperlites Flashing led motorcycle brake lights, runing lights, and turn signals, Standard Dual Function

·
Stealth Custom
4,838 Posts
I put the clear cover on my tailight with the red bulb. it really is not very visible and did concern me. I added some HyperLights to both sides of my license plate. They are bright LEDs that operate as running lights and will flash for 5 seconds when I apply my brakes then go steady. They are in a black housing so when they aren't lit (when the bike is off) you don't really see them. The video on their website shows them as nearly blindingly bright. They aren't quite that bright but are plenty visible.

Check them out if you want.
Hyperlites Flashing led motorcycle brake lights, runing lights, and turn signals, Standard Dual Function
I used to have those. Super bright and very effective.

·
Official Bug Taster
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the reply everyone. I am starting to lean more towards putting on a clear lens cover instead of the tinted one. I am mainly concerned about beeing seen from behind at night. I do want to be cool, but i guess safe is smarter.

AlohaMark made a good point about the legality of the turn strip I am installing. Made me do a little research. And to my surprise, a motorcyle in Louisiana is not required to have turn signals! You can check your state laws at this site: (I have no affiliation, just found it) Louisiana state motorcycle laws

trikebubble, how was the visability at night?

·
Official Bug Taster
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nobody else has any experiance with these?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts