Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Patriot Guard Rider
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, been lurking here for a while. Finally decided to post. Great site!!! Seems like a good bunch here.
Anyway......my current ride is an 05 Suzuki S40 and I'm wanting a larger bike. I've ridden a couple of larger ones that my friends have, a Yammi Roadstar, and a Nomad. I liked them both, although the Nomad did seem a little heavy, huge difference from a 360lb Suzi!! But I could probably get used to it. I've been riding on and off for 15yrs and my first bike was a Suzuki GS550L. The S40 is my second.
My local dealer has priced me a 900LT for $8311 out the door. They also have (last time I checked) an 06 1500 classic leftover. Still new, only accessory is a light bar. They priced this one to me for $8560 out the door.
My question is, which one? Most of my riding is around town back and forth to work, but I do hit the highway occasionally and would love to take some 2 or 3 day rides, or longer. Little Suzi is not comfortable enough for me to do that.
I like the extras the LT comes with, but the 1500 is a lot more bike! But without all the extras!
What do you guys and girls think?

·
Riding daily
4,688 Posts
The 1500 is a nice bike but if you going to be doing a lot of trips then you'll probably end up put a couple thousand more into it. If that is in your budget than I would do that. The LT comes ready to go. I would also check the area for used bikes. I have seen some great deals here on the forum and in my local paper. I got my 900 with only 600 miles on it for $5000.

·
Patriot Guard Rider
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like both bikes. But how will the 900 do on the highway for sustained periods, I'm sure it will be okay around town. How will the 1500 do around town where most of my riding is done? I know it would do fine on the highway. But I'd have to fork out more money for the things the 900 already has. What to do...What to do!!:rolleyes:

·
Patriot Guard Rider
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No test rides, they take em out of the crate and put em together minus battery and gas until you buy it. Sucks I know, but they're a small dealership and claim the extra insurance is too much to allow rides. This is where I bought my last bike and I haven't had any problems with them. They're always helpful and I get a 15% discount on any accessories I buy, factory or aftermarket, and they pay the shipping too!
The only other bikes I've ridden for comparison are the 1700 Roadstar with no accessories and the Nomad.
I liked the Roadstar, but the dealer here is too expensive.

·
900 Customer
901 Posts
The 900 does fine on the highway and would surely be a step up from your 650 single. But I think 900Classic nailed it; if it's in your budget to spring for the 1500 and then put a shield, luggage etc on it then go for it. Otherwise, the LT is a great bike as well and is ready to travel out of the box.

·
frequently disturbs class
2,220 Posts
Speaking as a 900 owner, I would buy the 1500 hands down.

If you want to tour a little, (and bring Mrs. Guido along too) you'll like the power of the classic more than enough to offset the absence of factory bags etc. The classic feels big and heavy when you sit it in the showroom, but once underway it's really well-mannered and easy to ride. Plus, it's a sweet looking ride with tons of stuff to make it yer own. Also, I bet the price on the classic has a little blue sky left in it. If it's an 06, the dealer owns it by now and they really want it gone. (Plus it's the pit of winter) Smoke 'em out with a lowball offer and then let the horsetrading begin.

I've said this before, - You rarely see Classic/Nomad/Meany owners wishing they had purchased a 900 instead...

That's my 2/100ths of 1 USD.

Good luck whichever way you go!

·
Alf not Elf
3,412 Posts
If your plans are to hit the Interstate on a regular basis riding two up the 1500 is the way to go.

·
Patriot Guard Rider
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's a good point about the accessories, their plentiful for the 1500 since it's been around for a while. I've read of the early quirks and fixes with the 900. Are there any mechanical issues with the 1500?

·
Patriot Guard Rider
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Two up is in the plans for some trips, Mrs Guido wants to go too! Just riding around town here two up, the S40 is small and makes her a little jumpy. She's already stated that a bigger bike would be better and has left it up to me which one to buy. I just want to make sure the 900 is enough or the 1500 isn't overkill.

·
Pass Me Safely!
72 Posts
1500, no questions asked. In the long run, you will be happier. After a few hours on the clock with the 900, you will yearn for a larger bike. I know, I been there. I owned a 900 and now I ride a 1600. Either way, both are great rides.

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
1500, no questions asked. In the long run, you will be happier. After a few hours on the clock with the 900, you will yearn for a larger bike. I know, I been there. I owned a 900 and now I ride a 1600. Either way, both are great rides.

Yep! :mrgreen: (Especially if you ride 2 up)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Last month I was in your position. I was looking to buy a new 900LT. After a few weeks of researching & reading reviews, I went to the dealer with cash in hand to buy the 900. A new 1500 was out of my price range. As I was dealing with the salesman, the service dept rolled in a 2003 1500 Nomad they had taken in on trade. They had just mounted a new rear tire & did a 7500 mile service. This bike did not have a scratch anywhere on it. Sitting next to a new bike, you could not tell the two apart. I bought the 1500 & never looked back at the 900. At any speed above 5mph, the Nomad is very stable. The ride is not affected by passing cars or cross winds. I had it out today on our California freeways at 75mph, & the engine just pulled & purred along. I swear in 5th gear, the engine cannot be turning much more than 1500rpm's @ 75mph. In my opion, below 5mph, the bike is heavy. At slower speeds you do have to use some muscle to get to go where you want it to go. But you will not have to buy aftermarket seats or sprockets to make the bike "right" as some do with the 900LT. Kawasaki got it right the first time with the 1500. Do your own research, read & compare the reviews for both bikes. Then make your decision.
Just my $0.02 Rich​

·
Patriot Guard Rider
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Guys. I can see that most agree, in the long run the 1500 is the way to go. I know I probably would not want to upgrade any time soon with the 1500, just accessorize!! I figure I'm looking at about $2k for the stuff I want. Windshield, lowers, highway bar, backrest, luggage rack, saddlebags. Secondary accessories would be, highway bar chaps, passenger floorboards, Back Off brake light module, and extra LED's on the brake lights.

·
President, L7 Club
462 Posts
Get the 1500. You'll regret NOT getting it if you get the 900. Accessories will come; they always do! I went from the Suzi C50T to the Nomad 1600 and have NO regrets and had no trouble adjusting to the size/power/weight of the bike. I almost wish I had gone for the V2K.... Almost!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts