Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
Normal for most all cruisers. I have not put them on, but I understand lowers will help significantly. I'm about ready to try covers on my highway bars too, to see how that helps. I would already know, but my son order the wrong ones for me for Christmas! :eek:

·
Alf not Elf
3,412 Posts
Lowers will help I have them on my 900. Where is the top of your windshield say in relationship with your eyes??Are you looking over it through it is the top even with your eyes your forehead???

·
skiing49er
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lowers will help I have them on my 900. Where is the top of your windshield say in relationship with your eyes??Are you looking over it through it is the top even with your eyes your forehead???
At 5'10'' I'm looking through it. The top of the shield is about even with the top of my helmet.

·
Alf not Elf
3,412 Posts
At 5'10'' I'm looking through it. The top of the shield is about even with the top of my helmet.
I will tell you what happened with the buffeting I was getting. The windshield already at its lowest setting was about eyebrow even in height quite a bit of buffeting. Put on lowers adjusted helped some less buffeting. Not related put on Mustang wide touring seat raised me up about an inch or so top of shield even with mid point of nose guess what almost no buffeting at all now. So the key to my buffeting was the shield height itself.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Thank gawd I slump a lot. Sitting upright the shield is about even with my chin. Slumped back and I'm looking through it. With the backpack strapped to my passanger pillion and me leaning against it, I think I'm looking through that gap from the shield chrome and the headlight. I only get buffeted around at special times. I've driven 120 on the thing (yes, downhill) and had a smooth ride. I've also gone 60 on it and couldn't focus on anything.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Think of your shield like a big sideways tilted wing. The air hits the front portion of your shield, producing an area of high pressure, whilst behind the shield the airpressure remains low.
Nature abhors a vacuum and therefore endeavours to fill it, producing the air current that you feel as buffeting.
I tried various positions for my screen, up, down, straight, tilted, and ended up with the screen almost straight upright, with the top of the screen almost eye level, at that position the airstream behind the screen, travels up and over my head, and therfore no buffeting. I do notice however that if I lean forward towards the screen I'm in the jetstream, but not whilst I'm in my normal riding position.
If your screen has any adjustment built in try a bit of trial and error, and you'll probably get it right, without the lowers, which are expensive, and in my opinion slightly detract from the look of a bike.
Christo

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
Tina, you're just being too practical now! :D

no, honestly, with a full face helmet, the air tends to come up from underneath and is very noisy.
My windshield is 14" at the top, and 24" at the bottom. With a full face helmet, I had no air flow into my full face helmet.

Might be the shape, or the studs on the sides!

·
*** V2K Rocks!!! ***
1,692 Posts
Keep in mind that stock lowers might not eliminate a whole lot of buffeting due their small size. I found that to be the case with stock lowers on my V2K Classic, so I cut larger ones out of Lexan and mounted them using the stock brackets (see photos below). Now there's no wind buffeting at highway speeds.

See item #4 on this web site on how to make your own larger lowers:

Windshield Lowers

Stock Lowers

Larger Custom Lowers

·
Registered
758 Posts
Hey Ski

Check out the chrome lowers at mean cycles. That is my bike they are showing with the lowers on...same bike you have.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I don't have the LT, but I do have the factory shield on my 900. There is a "sweet spot" on adjusting that thing height-wise where there is minimal buffeting. Depending on your riding position, there may not be enough adjustment range to get it where you need.

I'm around 5'10" and the top of the shield hits me just below my nose. Most highway riding is on county or state roads doing 55-65 mph and I don't have any buffeting problems. If I get up around 75 I get some head "bobble".

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
has anyone tried different shapes of screens? The falcon screen on my 800A is almost flat, and only the top and side edges are slightly curved. Some kawi screens are heavily curved on the sides while the top edge is kind of straight. With this shape, I would assume that most wind will pass to side, and not much over the top. I wonder if I try different screens like from memphis shade it will help the noise and buffetting. BTW, I do have the lowers, and tried different positions. If it can get better, I do not mind the cost...

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'm sure there's all kinds of variances other than the windshields themselves, but I'm getting much more buffeting behind the Kawasaki windshield on my 900 LT than I used to get behind the Memphis Fats on my 800 Classic.

The 900's windshield is noticeably bigger -- height and width -- than the Memphis Fats.

I used to look nearly two inches over the Memphis Fats. I've got the 900's adjusted as far down as possible and still look through it unless I stand on the floor boards slightly.

·
Registered
12,874 Posts
I'm sure there's all kinds of variances other than the windshields themselves, but I'm getting much more buffeting behind the Kawasaki windshield on my 900 LT than I used to get behind the Memphis Fats on my 800 Classic.

The 900's windshield is noticeably bigger -- height and width -- than the Memphis Fats.

I used to look nearly two inches over the Memphis Fats. I've got the 900's adjusted as far down as possible and still look through it unless I stand on the floor boards slightly.
+1
Hubby got an 07 Nomad and the 900LT has a bigger windshield than the V2K and the Nomad!!!! :shock:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts