Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

900's w/ the 240 setup

9K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  jason2215 
#1 ·
Sorry if this has been discussed before...but anyone who has the 240 tire setup in the rear...how is the ride quality compared to stock? Depending on the seat, would you still be able to ride it (fairly) comfortably for at least a few hours? I'm assuming I'll want to lower it 1-2 inches as well so I'm guessing that makes things quite a bit stiffer...

I'd appreciate the feedback!

Thanks!

#3 ·
I'll see if I can be a bit more help:

Trasman said:

I doesn't affect the ride, the rear shock is adjustable so you can control the "stiffness".....
Link: http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/kawasaki-cruisers/121745-new-britt-240-setup.html

In that same thread Slpr 61 said:

it wont affect the "ride", but it *will* affect the handleing. ive only ridin a couple bikes with fat rearends (one was raked out pretty good too) and they do turn differently. turning seems slower. not the real setup for twisties is what Ive heard.
Biggy D asked:

Sweet looks great what do you think of the handeling with the rear set up.
JD6951 replied:

You got to slow it down and lean it more on the corners but it becomes natural after a few rides.
Canukkid posted a thread called Handling of bike with larger rear tire?

Here:

http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/kawasaki-cruisers/71855-handling-bike-larger-rear-tire.html

A professional rider wrote a review on the HD muscle (notable because it comes stock with a 240 rear tire) here:

Motorcycle Expert Review

In short he said the following:

Now to play with the new 240-rear tire. From a standing start, you can still smoke the rear tire. That did not surprise me at all. Now for the turning chrematistics, how will this affect the ride? First, I just turned real slow in a circle on a two-lane road to see if tight turning was affected. To me, it did not seem to affect the ride much at all. When I leaned over as far as I could comfortably and still on a tight turn, the rear seemed to take a shorter path than the front as it rolls over to the outside of the tire. That was normal for a wider tire. There is a lot of difference between the 240 on this ride and the bigger and more radical 300 and 340 tires that you find on some customs.

Performance for the high-speed turns, at least to me, was not really affected. It may be my skill level, but for a daily rider, the performance and agility of the bike was not affected. If you want to make a run up the back way to Prescott that might be a different story. The only real difference with this tire as opposed to the 180 is when you are on very uneven, tired asphalt that has depressions where the tires ride, you get a feeling that the bike is being pushed to one side or the other, depending on what side of the depression you are on. That is the only real negative to the larger tire; the meatier tire definitely makes the bike look healthier.
One thing that I remember reading is that when you ride on wet roads, expect the bigger tire, with the fender kits, to fling road water all over your back.

Also keep in mind, when it's all said and done, a 240 conversion kit will cost at least $3,000.

#4 ·
Wow! Thank you for all that! I searched for awhile last night but couldn't find much besides tidbits on the looks and installation.

Good info. I know it'll cost quite a bit...planning on doing some other uprades as well. Figured if I'm doing that mod, might as well get a few other things done while it's taken apart. Planning on teh mimic wheel from meancycles so wanted to send my front wheel in to get polished unless i can find somewhere local to do it cheaper...

Now I just have to decide between the britt and the sumo-x fender....decisions, decisions...:)

#10 ·
I did see the kit...but why does the front wheel they offer look smaller than the stock on the customs? Is it still 21"? I love the front stock wheel...one of the best to come straight from the factory IMHO.
what you're seeing is bike's based off the Classic model, that uses a 18x3.5 front wheel. If you have a Custom, they send a 21x2.15 front wheel.

• 18 X 3.5 Front Wheel for Classic Models
  • 21 X 2.15 Front Wheel for Custom Models
  • 17 X 6.25 Rear Wheels (Fits Classic & Custom Models)
  • 66 Tooth 1" Wide Matching Rear Drive Pulley
http://www.brittmotorsports.com/productdetail.htm?browse=-13898&productId=-72619&shopBy=-1251&catalogId=-331

*click on "features"

#12 ·
angliam, You seem to be boning up on your knowledge of this topic. Will yours be the first SE we see here with a 240 mod?
Nope, I'm going for the Avon 230 on the stock rim. I thought about getting a 240 kit, but I'd rather put that money toward my custom I'm going to start building this summer (hopefully). I've been looking at a ******* Mutant Curve.

#14 ·
Nope, I'm going for the Avon 230 on the stock rim. I thought about getting a 240 kit, but I'd rather put that money toward...
Same conclusion I came to. My 230 should be here in a few days.

...my custom I'm going to start building this summer (hopefully). I've been looking at a ******* Mutant Curve.
OMFG that bike is SICK!

I really like your tase in bikes man.

#16 ·
I was not able to take off my rear fender (thanks to the red loctite i was instruected to use with my ghost brackets) but my rear wheel is in the backseat of my F150 right now. Found a place to mount my rear tire for $45 and the 230 will be here on Monday.

FL Vulcan where did you get those smoke lenses for your blinkers? Do you still have them? I know youre not using them now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.