Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I just got a 91 ninja zx6r, and am having some problems. The dude I picked it up from was selling it cheap because it had been dumped, the fairings were all cracked, and he thought the starter or solenoid was bad. We pull started it, and immediately the exhaust started to glow frickin' bright orange, and sparks were shooting out of the tailpipe. R.P.M.'s were screaming, and it was pretty freaky, so we killed it. After looking it over,we found that the starter wire was just pinched under the chainguard, fixed it, and now the starter will crank. However, all that happens now is after a little cranking, she backfires out a big spark and won't start. The carbs were a little gummy, I unstuck the needles, soaked them in cleaner, (I know, I'm lazy) but the problem has not changed. Also, she floods real easy. Maybe the igniter box? Bad timing? Please tell me I can fix this, and how..... I dream about riding all day.

·
Registered
71 Posts
What side did she go down on as the pick ups (Pulsar Coils) are located behind the engine cover on the left hand side of the engine toward the front, you may find they are damaged this will cause you electrical problems like backfiring and Over heating if the ignition has been over advanced by the position of the pick ups altering.

Also carbs can be prone to playing up when the bike has been down, Disturbed muck in the carbs can get between the float needle and seat and stop the fuel supply from shutting off when the fuel level has been reached or the float levels are not set correctly.

The engine screeming may be down to the throttle cable pulled taught or trapped due to the bike going down.

The CDI is fairly reliable i would look to check all other relevant electrical components before forking out for another box.
:oops:

I would suggest a manual of some they are an invaluable source of information for the price.

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
SCREAMING!!!

Seeing that the bike does/did run even though it was at high speed...I would first go to the throttle situation. making sure that the throttle is actually working like it should opening and closing in the carbs...you can test the electrical real easy by closing the garage door of waiting till night and pulling a plug and grounding it and cranking it...should get a blue-white spark...Throttle or carbs, sounds as if you are getting PLENTY of fuel...let us know!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Backfiring?

I would check the firing order in the manual. My guess is that the ignition wires are not in the correct spot and that will cause massive timing problems,and backfiring or not running smoothly.

Let me know if that helps. :idea:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Backfiring?

I would check the firing order in the manual. My guess is that the ignition wires are not in the correct spot and that will cause massive timing problems,and backfiring or not running smoothly.

Let me know if that helps. :idea:

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
SCREAMING AND TURNING RED and SPARK

I"m missing something here. When you pull started it it was runing...
So there is compression, fire, fuel... You fixed the wire problem and now it does not run, but it does have compression, fire and fuel and it WON't start...but does it spit flame from the pipe... IF that is the case I would seriously consider the fuel situation. Break it down...yes you have compression...check,,,do you have fire/ignition,,,either flames shooting ut of the pipe...or do you have a spark at each spark plug...check,,,then check the fuel...I wold drain the fuel. put it into a gas can. If you have too much gas going into the cylinders you are seriously flooding them and it won't start. take the airbox off (even before you do that...look to se that your carbs are opening and closing the throttle plate you should see them open and close each one of them if not...) then remove the airbox and look inside each inlet to see if they are actually opening closing as the throttle is onen/closed...if not then you should pull the carbs off they come off all at the same time...something is not working right...one may be jambed or hanging up......I had a buddy the other day with a Suzuki and it turned out that he had to remap everything in his ECU (onboard Computer) way over my head...

·
Registered
20,973 Posts

You have to give us some feedback as to what you have done and what is happening now...I would definately throw the gas into a gas can and get about a gallon/ several liters of fresh gas while I was trying to figure it out. change out the filter too. When You pull started it...IT WAS RUNNING! what do you have now? Do the check list. fresh gas, new plugs, do you still have compression, spark, and fuel? FEEDBACK...I like puzzles...wish that I had the bike here...I love to follow through each and every piece. start with pulling the plugs and check them too! IF they have deposits on tehm are they black, silver or are they just oily...have lost compression...c'mon...can't stand the wait or hesitation...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts