Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seen this on a few bikes, it's that wierd bar thing that goes from the tank to the windscreen right between the handle bars. Only a few bikes seem the have them. It sort of looks like it could be structural but up close looks like it is hollow. I have no idea what they are and was just wondering if anyone knew. Thanks

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
they call it a "fairing stay" its just a support for the mirrors,fainging,windsheild. helps when doing high speed runs to keep that area from bowing down. :wink:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They are hollow and i would ride without them if my bike didn't have them, thank you very much. Thanks for the picture Camaroguy. Thoes are actually not what I am talking about. They are tubing kind of things. My buddy has one on a yamaha but istead of going into the tank it goes into his frame. They seem to have an air inlet on the front face of the farring. It seems to be cooling or some kind of ventilation.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...&rd=1&item=4502773115&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

This auction is a perfect example. And that is a really, really cool bike for the price! It is thoes tube things going into the tank.

·
Registered
35 Posts
What you are talking about are "snorkels". Basically it is a fresh air inlet for your airbox. They quit making that body style in 92, I have a 94, and it doesnt have snorkels, only a ram air inlet on one side next to the light. Never really a big fan of the snorkel look. You might want to check out the ZX7 forum (the banner at the bottom of spdrkt ZX7R's post) there you can find more model specific answers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yep, they're supposed to be fresh air "snorkels". I had a friend who owned a 1991 ZX-7R, the "snorkels" on that bike were entirely for looks; meaning, they did not connect to the air box. The snorkels connected to the fuel tank and allowed air to flow, well, nowhere really.

·
Registered
17 Posts
They're supposed to keep the carburetors cool, for better fuel mixture.
My bike has the same thing only included in the fairing.You can see the air intake in the picture.

·
Registered
613 Posts
harry said:
They are hollow and i would ride without them if my bike didn't have them, thank you very much. Thanks for the picture Camaroguy. Thoes are actually not what I am talking about. They are tubing kind of things. My buddy has one on a yamaha but istead of going into the tank it goes into his frame. They seem to have an air inlet on the front face of the farring. It seems to be cooling or some kind of ventilation.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...&rd=1&item=4502773115&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

This auction is a perfect example. And that is a really, really cool bike for the price! It is thoes tube things going into the tank.
I thought you were talking about the upper fairing support, not the air inlets. My bad.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts