Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well today I picked it up. Drove a quick two hour trip from Los Alamos NM back home to Albuquerque NM. Wow! This bike is wonderful. Powerful, handled very well. The previous owner took such good care of it, and it shows.

Well being back to a chain drive bike instead of the shaft drive Goldwing I just sold, anyone have any good chain maintenance advise? Such as what works well, grease/lubes and any good cleaning tools.

If anyone else has any good advise on anything let me know. Rode the Goldwing for 5 years and easing back into the sport touring world, but loving every mile of it so far.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I know some people don't like the BelRay chain lube but it always had worked for me. It's a wax based lube so you put in on after a ride and let it sit 8 hours before riding. I used it exclusively and NEVER had any issue with it.

Everyone will give you different advice on cleaning and lubing, basically use what you want and just be good about taking care of a dirty or wet chain as that is what is ultimately important.

Most manuals say every 200 miles lube, but to be honest I would go 600-1000 unless caught in the rain and never noticed any difference in chain /sprocket life as long as I religiously cleaned the chain before lubing.

Congrats on the great find, sounds sweet. BTW it didn't happen without posting pictures!!! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. My neighbor was telling me about that stuff but couldn't remember the name. He had mentioned he uses a graphite spray, but I think I might try what something like you had mentioned. Thanks again. I'm going to try and put some more pics up later.

·
Biker Chef
1,026 Posts
I swear by PJ1 blue label chain lube. I clean my chian with a fingernail brush and Kerosene.

To clean chain lube off the back rim and swingarm, WD-40 is the champ.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts