Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1992 zx-11, 29k miles, runs perfect. just had it sitting for the past 60 days while i was deployed. got back, started it up, runs fine. took it out for an hour or two long ride. sometime during that ride, the tachometer decided to act up.

now, the tach reads exactly double the rpm's. so, when it usually idled at 1200, it is now showing 2400. it used to be say 4000 rpm's at 70mph, now it is showing 8000 rpms at the same speed. the tach works fine, goes to zero when off, will run all the way up when rev'd.

so, anyone ever seen this? i know a tach will act like this if it's set for 4 or 6 or 8 cylinders by mistake (like when installing an aftermarket one on a car), but what would make this happen- bad tach or is there something "simple" like a wire that has come loose that i can track down?

thanks & merry x-mas!

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
Being an electrical tach, it's in your wiring. Check to make sure the connection at the back of the tach hasn't come loose.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
agree, must be wiring. after letting it sit overnight, i went out to start it and it's back to normal. could have been that in my washing i got a little overzealous and pumped too much water around something. anyway, i'll keep my fingers crossed that it stays fixed, if not i'll start pulling body panels off and see what i find. hopefully its not internal in the tach...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
and on the road to work today, **** tach started to show double the rpm again! i hate when the problem doesn't stay solved by itself.

Anyway, i don't have the time to mess with it, so i'll probably drop it off at my kaw mechanic and see what he can find. i just need someone to narrow down whether it's a bad tach or not, so i can find one on ebay and order it to have it replaced. it takes a few weeks for stuff to reach me (i'm overseas)...

luckily my dealer tech rate is $25/hr, so not as bad as back in the states (if i remember right), but not as cheap as the last country i was in ... $3/hr!

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
Good luck with it. Let us know what it was, so the next person can fix theirs.

Oh, by the way, you owe $42.95 for the help! :biggrin: ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts